Dark Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I am going to make a cider using store bought apple/ black currant juice, do I need to bring these up to a temperature on the stove top to kill off and residual bacteria or yeast?

If I am going to make a cider using store bought apple/ black currant juice, do I need to bring these up to a temperature on the stove top to kill off and residual bacteria or yeast?
nope. commercial juice is already pasturised. so long as it doesnt have added preservitives your fine.

Kegs getting a little empty, so time to do a variation as this was very tasty.

the yeast cake from this had a 'from scratch ginger beer' thrown on it. The GB was quite potent in ginger dark sugars and citrus so im throwing straight onto the dregs (yeastcake plus about 700ml of GB) the same recipe as above but I will add some sort of fruit and some lemongrass to secondary.

Not sure.what fruit yet. I could add some.pomegranate syrup I have and that would be interesting with the GB flavours. Not sure about plums and GB and lemongrass. Of course I could go Asian and throw southeast Asian fruits in there (think Thai etc) but those fruits are expensive.

Will report back when on I decide on which fruit. Juice was pitched onto yeastcake 2 days ago
Had a pint last night whilst doing some work. Tastes awesome. The ginger, cider lemongrass blend beautifully. Experiments rock

+1 for ginger beer and cider... I've mixed something like that in the glass. My apple cider was "somewhat lacking" and ginger beer that was "too gingery" and it balanced so well. Been considering brewing something 50/50.

Back