Dans gets growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bum said:
It isn't a litre and I'm sure I'm not alone in having paid more for less once or twice (considerably better beers though but your concern doesn't seem related to quality here).
I have paid nearly that for a 750mL bottle before so cost doesn't worry me so much :lol:

If they want it to be a success they should read marketing 101 where it says introductory offers are best made cheaper than usual.

Ok it did look like it said 1litre in the picture. But in the video it shows it's a growler.

I thought 25 for a litre of Goat IPA was steep. But for nearly 2 it's pretty reasonable.

Prahran seems to have a bigger range than Alphington then. No swing tops, only screw tops. Is this maybe just because lion Nathan are releasing Tap King that Dans is feeling the need to offer something similar. Although with much better beer.

Interesting to see DMs starting it over east.<br />I believe Alcohol excise is different on cartons (more expensive)as it is for kegs (cheaper).So would it be that DMs makes more money selling craft beer out of kegs instead of packaged beer. Craft Beer or Cash Beer??<br />I would rather just save the money for a trip to my local micro brewery and throw it over the bar on pints and have it going to the producer direct.

Bridges said:
Prahran seems to have a bigger range than Alphington then. No swing tops, only screw tops. Is this maybe just because lion Nathan are releasing Tap King that Dans is feeling the need to offer something similar. Although with much better beer.
Oh yeah forgot about those...DM are going for the craft scene where LN are going towards megaswill, makes sense

Maybe a bit OT but does anybody know where I can buy a swingtop growler in Brisbane?
No trouble getting screw tops.

Screwtop growlers work fine, even as 'hand luggage' on domestic flights ;-)
My favourite though is a swingtop, all the way from Anderson Valley, California.

Screwtops hold 1.89L (1/2 US gal) to the mark but when capped on foam it's more like 1.95L
Sixpack of 330mL = 1.98L
Sixpack of stubbies = 2.25L

If it's BYO bottle it should be cheaper to fill a growler than buying a six pack.
$15-$19

mrTbeer said:
Screwtop growlers work fine, even as 'hand luggage' on domestic flights ;-)
My favourite though is a swingtop, all the way from Anderson Valley, California.

Screwtops hold 1.89L (1/2 US gal) to the mark but when capped on foam it's more like 1.95L
Sixpack of 330mL = 1.98L
Sixpack of stubbies = 2.25L

If it's BYO bottle it should be cheaper to fill a growler than buying a six pack.
$15-$19
Right on the money mrTbeer, also with stubbies if you want to just drink one the rest won't be stuffed within a couple of days. Got the pricing wrong or need to get amazing small batch beers to justify the price.

In a move that no doubt harks back to the good old days of the horse drawn cart and milk man, Woolworths (ASX: WOW) liquor outlet Dan Murphy’s is trialling a concept which will see craft draught beers poured directly into take away (growler) bottlers for customers to purchase and take home with them. Customers can then bring the empty growler bottle back for a re-fill, creating a great way for customers to sample craft beers that may not otherwise be available.
Woolworths has already moved into the beer market through its shareholding in Gage Roads Brewing (ASX: GRB) so it is not surprising to see this latest move. Woolies’ increasing interest in the beer market is a direct threat to the market share of Wesfarmers (ASX: WES), which owns a number of liquor outlets including Vintage Cellars, and also Coca-Cola Amatil (ASX: CCL), which is pursuing more beer distribution agreements.
http://www.fool.com.au/2013/06/20/woolworths-liquor-chain-has-eyes-on-craft-beer-market/?source=aptyholnk3030003

I bet those bastards will sell these growlers too. The local hipsters will be all over it.

Yeah me thinks they chose their trial stores wisely. Damn hipsters. Being branded a beer snob based on choice of beer I can handle. Being called a hipster as a result of the beer I drink just pi55es me off.

:icon_offtopic: i thought a growler was customer complaining about a bad product,not a beer vessel :p

I have had 2 growlers at Colonial here in Margret River

tried 2 types and paid $20 for each , 2 litres

Travelling in a caravan and away from my home brew and it was a good fix

ps would like to know of refill points on way up to Perth

and in Perth

Prahran isn't just about the hipsters... half the time I walk along Chapel St near DM's, there's homeless folk fighting over a bottle of sherry :kooi:

I think this is a good thing, megga swill drinkers introduced to the growler, most would have never heard of such a beast. Now they believe it's the new age thing at DM, perhaps they may even hear they have been around a while and available at other outlets.

Call it education.

Batz

Rod said:
I have had 2 growlers at Colonial here in Margret River

tried 2 types and paid $20 for each , 2 litres

Travelling in a caravan and away from my home brew and it was a good fix

ps would like to know of refill points on way up to Perth

and in Perth
If you have the Colonial style swingtop then Cellarbrations Carlisle (counter pressure), Mane Liquor (from a tap), The Royal in East Perth (Colonial) and The Raffles (Colonial).

Nick JD said:
What's in hassle hop?

hasselhoff.jpg

Latest posts

Back