Dangerous "Kegland" sticker on Co2 bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ring the people first before taking it for a refill and see if they will fill it...............

Most likely business/commercial reasons.

Just go to Brewman or if that’s too far there is also firebox at Beresfield.

For those in Newy there’s Frank in steel river who fills a 6kg for $30.

Strongly suggest Brewman as option 1, You will without a doubt pick up some good brewing advice and chat while there

Hi Moad, where is Frank in steel river? I work near there so it could be pretty handy.

If the cylinder leaked after they filled that would not be there fault plus the sticker could be there for warranty to show who sold it. and when.

If we supplied a leaky cylinder it would be replaced free of charge under warranty. As far as we are aware though we have not had this issue so i think this is more speculation rather than fact.

Makes one wonder.

The reality is we have more refill stations signing up every week. It would be pointless to boycott a KegLand cylinder as it's made to the Australian standard has work cover approvals and is identical to other cylinders on the market made to the same standard.

The cylinders that KegLand sell are all less than 6 months old so they are in sigificantly better condition than many of the other cylinders on the market.

All the cylinders are covered under our own warranty.

The smart retailers have already worked out that it makes sense to fill anything that meets the Australian standard for the reason that you can make good money on the gas, and secondly it brings people to your retail store where they will probably buy other stuff. So we are 100% confident that we will continue to see more filling locations become available for this same reason.

The cylinder is a one off, the real money is in the consumables! (just look at the home printer industry) I own two kol cylinders and as far as the industry goes they are the expensive in albeit a high quality in. I would like to think that swap and go is the future and much like the LPG system works the "brand" of the bottle will become irrelevant and focus with shift to the functionality or the purpose of giving us pressurised CO² to carbonate and dispense our beer :)

Yea I'm sure once the dust settles people will refill. I've just ordered an extra 2.6kg bottle.

I have a Co2 swap and go business on the Sunshine Coast and I am happy to fill a kegland bottle.

I took a brand new Kegland cylinder to be refilled ( I bought it from another supplier and did not know it would be a Kegland one).
Anyway today as I said the store said this valve was faulty ( see attached photo). Now what annoys me is a) I deliberately went to another supplier to avoid problems, b) the “local” refiller in Coffs Harbour has closed its doors, c) the only place for 100 kilometres that can fill cylinders, says these cylinders are faulty & d) I paid more for the same cylinder to avoid problems & now have problems anyway!
I am getting so tired of all of this - I guess I will scrap this one and use Sodastream stream bottles instead

That is called a Residual Pressure Valve, it is designed to keep a little CO2 in the bottle; this prevents any moisture or Oxygen getting into the bottle and starting rust.
Aluminium bottles don't require a RPV to be on a 10 year test cycle, Steel bottles do! Without a RVP steel bottles need testing every 5 years, with a working RVP its 10 years.
A Steel bottle without a RVP, or one that isn't functional (most of them I have seen from KK and KL, I once handed a work cover inspector a bag of faulty PRV's that weighed a couple of kg) can still be filled, provided it has all the relevant compliances and it is less than 5 years from its last certification.

Personally I spent the extra and brought MKOL Aluminium bottles, my 4.5kg bottle is about due for its 10 year test, it has preformed flawlessly for the whole 10 years, I don't begrudge the extra cost one iota. Sometimes you really do get what you payed for.
Mark

That is called a Residual Pressure Valve, it is designed to keep a little CO2 in the bottle; this prevents any moisture or Oxygen getting into the bottle and starting rust.
Aluminium bottles don't require a RPV to be on a 10 year test cycle, Steel bottles do! Without a RVP steel bottles need testing every 5 years, with a working RVP its 10 years.
A Steel bottle without a RVP, or one that isn't functional (most of them I have seen from KK and KL, I once handed a work cover inspector a bag of faulty PRV's that weighed a couple of kg) can still be filled, provided it has all the relevant compliances and it is less than 5 years from its last certification.

Personally I spent the extra and brought MKOL Aluminium bottles, my 4.5kg bottle is about due for its 10 year test, it has preformed flawlessly for the whole 10 years, I don't begrudge the extra cost one iota. Sometimes you really do get what you payed for.
Mark
Thx Mark, yeah he did explain what it is and what it is for. I have sine told the supplier and Kegland by email that once it is empty I will be decommissioning it. And last night it emptied itself (my fault a faulty o ring), so I won’t worry about it anymore!
Cheers

Kee from Kegland has offered to supply a new PRV.
Thx Kee
As a Safety and Risk professional however I am still concerned the defective parts are allowed to be fitted to potentially dangerous vessels.
It goes to show our regulatory framework is less than adequate

and when your bottle won't let any gas out so you decide to screw out your faulty rpv and it blows the end of your finger off or takes out your eye. Nice!

I've read that these valves can shoot across a room when being unscrewed, even with the gas off. The pressure is still behind the valve. Not sure if unscrewing it slowly will let the pressure out before it reaches the end of the thread. I'd be checking first. Other wise just take it back to the retailer.

Yep that’s what I was told by the person who noticed the faulty PRV, even though mine had a faulty O ring, the ones he was very concerned about were the ones that did that!
It seems to me in the race to make things cheaper, manufacturers and suppliers are happy to accept failures.
Airbags, safety valves, clothes even trains and planes that are built in third word countries with “laxer” laws, seem to have accepted a higher level of failure.

I took a brand new Kegland cylinder to be refilled ( I bought it from another supplier and did not know it would be a Kegland one).
Anyway today as I said the store said this valve was faulty ( see attached photo). Now what annoys me is a) I deliberately went to another supplier to avoid problems, b) the “local” refiller in Coffs Harbour has closed its doors, c) the only place for 100 kilometres that can fill cylinders, says these cylinders are faulty & d) I paid more for the same cylinder to avoid problems & now have problems anyway!
I am getting so tired of all of this - I guess I will scrap this one and use Sodastream stream bottles instead
I'd guess I know who wouldn't fill it, won't name names.
Did Coffs Home Brew in town close?
They're about the only other place in Coffs other than the fire extinguisher mobs that filled CO2 bottles

I'd guess I know who wouldn't fill it, won't name names.
Did Coffs Home Brew in town close?
They're about the only other place in Coffs other than the fire extinguisher mobs that filled CO2 bottles
I didn’t say anything about whether it was filled or not, just talked about the faulty valve. They did talk about what happens when you think the cylinder is empty and it isn’t! Quite rightly in their position if it happened more than once I would not fill it!
Yes apparently Coffs Home Brew moved, a mate of mine told me and he has tried to call them several times no answer.
I guess if I want the damn thing filled again & don’t want to annoy the brilliant folks at Toormina I can get it filled at Port MAC as I do go down there occasionally.

Back