Dangerous "Kegland" sticker on Co2 bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outback

Reaction score
Country brewer in Maitland refused to refill my Co2 bottle this morning citing safety reasons.
Having a current test stamp, as well as being stamped Keg king was not enough to allay their fears. I can only conclude it was the sicker which was dangerous.

While i respect their right to fill or not for no reason, i also reserve my right to never darken their door again. I will in future save my custom for a business which has not been scare mongered into what is ultimately a poor business decision.

Consumer affairs might be interested in this exclusive practice.
I don't often go to the Maitland store, as the Brewman is a bit closer to me and usually has sufficient CO2 to fill my bottle.
Maybe you should contact the Brewman before you next venture out this way.
Good to know that some stores are easily influenced.
Time for a beer, I feel!

Country brewer in Maitland refused to refill my Co2 bottle this morning citing safety reasons.
Having a current test stamp, as well as being stamped Keg king was not enough to allay their fears. I can only conclude it was the sicker which was dangerous.

While i respect their right to fill or not for no reason, i also reserve my right to never darken their door again. I will in future save my custom for a business which has not been scare mongered into what is ultimately a poor business decision.
Did they give a reason for declining to fill the bottle?
I would assume you asked, I certainly would have.
Having filled thousands of CO2 bottles and yes having declined a few to, there would have to be a dam good reason, it usually involved expired tests, the bottle being half full of beer, serious rust or other damage. A business makes a living by supplying a need so they would likely have had a dam good reason for saying no.
Mark

My son took the bottle for me as he visits that way occasionally. He was told they would not fill it for safety reasons and would go no further other than direct him to a fire extinguisher place which was closed by then.

The bottle is essentially new and this was the first refill for it. It certainly looks new with no cosmetic let alone actual damage or issues

Give them a call and ask, if they have a good reason it would be nice to know.
Mark

I am happy to fill CO2 bottles as long as you own it and it is a CO2 bottle with an appropriate test stamp and is within its test date cycle. Of course if the bottle shows signs of damage / rust, or some other issue which I am sure would be obvious, I would not fill until it was tested and certified OK, then I'd fill it.

If it is out of date I will offer to have it reinspected, cost $50, takes a week, and filled after that.

Cheers Steve

Could you just remove the kegland sticker? Would not be able to tell if it is a kegland or kegking cyclinder.

The argument against filling it was a bit of a moving one. Safety, Not filling kegland cylinders just because, Kegland cylinders previously leaking after being refilled, direction given from further up the food chain, and safety again. The condescending remarks made between staff as my son left were out of line regardless.

I can't be bothered following it up with them. Obviously they have run a business without my custom in the past, so I'm sure they will be OK without me in the future. The next time a trip that way is planned I will make contact with Brewman, I'm sure he will exchange some Co2, grain, hops, yeast and whatever for some coin.

I shouldn't have to remove a sticker. I have scant details of what transpired when the split occurred and that's fine. It simply is none of my business. If someone wants to side with one party or another due to some loyalty, I respect that, but just come out and say it.

If the cylinder leaked after they filled that would not be there fault plus the sticker could be there for warranty to show who sold it. and when.

If there was a Kegland sticker on a Keg King bottle they may have simply been concerned about legal implications - then again they may have a deal with KK and don't want to jeopardise it...

Unless you actually have experience in running such a business I would not be too critical. I understand you are upset, but your whole life is not on the line. You probably won't be happy if they go out of business anyway - some things you can buy online, but your beer will probably suffer if you have to source everything that way.

Most likely business/commercial reasons.

Just go to Brewman or if that’s too far there is also firebox at Beresfield.

For those in Newy there’s Frank in steel river who fills a 6kg for $30.

Strongly suggest Brewman as option 1, You will without a doubt pick up some good brewing advice and chat while there

Most likely business/commercial reasons.

Just go to Brewman or if that’s too far there is also firebox at Beresfield.

For those in Newy there’s Frank in steel river who fills a 6kg for $30.

Strongly suggest Brewman as option 1, You will without a doubt pick up some good brewing advice and chat while there

Does Brewman have a shopfront, or do you need to organise a time with him? (I've always got stuff delivered from him)

Consumer affairs might be interested in this exclusive practice.
I don't often go to the Maitland store, as the Brewman is a bit closer to me and usually has sufficient CO2 to fill my bottle.
Maybe you should contact the Brewman before you next venture out this way.
Good to know that some stores are easily influenced.
Time for a beer, I feel!
Good luck with consumer affairs

My main concern with buying a kegland bottle would be no retailer wanting to touch it because kegland are undercutting retailers while also trying to get them to stock their gear.

Latest posts

Back