Damper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
There is a bread thread but bread s made with plain flour and yeast.

Damper is like a big scone with SRF. butter, milk and water.

My brother was over and i was cooking a baked dinner. We were looking in a cook book and found a damper recipe.

Coment was made........ "i recon a damper would be great cooked in the fireplace"

Soooooo, whats a bloke to do. We broke out the flour ect and had a go.

Pushed the coals to one side and sat it in the fire on some baking paper, with a rack seperating it from the heat of the damper.

The fireplace was still a bit hot and the first atempt burnt on the bottom but it was great..... picked the crusty bits off with the scone like filling, a bit of butter....... Munich Dunkel........ YUM!

Knocked up another now the fire had died off and chucked it in. Took half hour or so, a couple small burns from rotating it but this was the result.

We ate it with the roast beef and veg and i can tell you there is nothing better to mop up gravy!

cheers

Damper_in_fire__824_x_549_.jpg

Damper__1248_x_832_.jpg

Damper_split__1248_x_832_.jpg

Looks fantastic, but I thought proper damper was just flour and water? Aussie peasant food.

Gonna post the recipe?

Ha............ i thought beer was malt sugar and iso hop. Aussie peasant beer :)

I like something better!

3 cups SRF
1.5 tspoons salt
90g butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water

melt butter and add to sifted flour and salt. Rub in by hand till its like bread crumbs.

add water and milk. use a knife to mix up in cutting motion. once combined turn out onto a floured surface and kneed lightly.

kneed to a round and place on cooking surface. pat down to a flatten out to a 15 cm round and slash a cross on the top with a sharp knife.

cook till golden and cooked through. Can be done in the oven in a hot oven 10 min then reducing to moderate for 15 min but i put it in a cooled fire and rotated it to bake it evenly. Going to get a cast camp oven i think!

cheers

Back