Damn Good Stout recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comes from the days when people thought stout was good for you (borderline medicinal), have a look at a couple of generations of Guinness advertising posters .
Lost of interesting spinoffs, Dr Wander invented LME to supply nutritious food to poor children, his son moved the business to England and found other uses for the "goop"
Mark

I had heard somewhere that some stout, either Guinness or Mackeson could be got on prescription in bygone days, don't know if it is just an urban myth.

stout time for me coming up, anyone care to share a top notch oatmeal stout, ive brewed an oatmeal, so any specific pointers?

On some of the ingredients mentioned in the thread.

Mild malt is still available in the UK. If you can't get it, just sub English pale malt. Not the same but not a huge difference. Maybe add a little of a more killed malt like Munich or Vienna. We have UK produced versions of those here.

Caramunich is different from caramalt. If you can't get caramalt I'd use a pale crystal.

Target hops are cheap and plentiful in the UK. The recipe only bitters with them though, so any good bittering hop will do the job. If you stay English, then Challenger, Northdown, Admiral, Pilgrim for example.

Edit. The Hook Norton Double Stout is a really nice stout, I must brew it.

Coconut Stout recipe I came across.
INGREDIENTS
  • For 10 gallons (37.85 L)
  • 9 lb. (4.08 kg) Golden Promise malt
  • 3 lb. (1.36 kg) flaked barley
  • 1.75 lb. (0.79 kg) pale chocolate malt
  • 1.75 lb. (0.79 kg) roast barley
  • 1 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal 60°L malt
  • 1 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal 120°L malt
  • 12 oz. (0.34 kg) Victory malt
  • rice hulls to prevent stuck mash
  • 1 oz. (28 g) Magnum pellet hops, 14.7% a.a. (60 min)
  • 3 lb. (1.36 kg) lactose (10 min)
  • WLP028 Edinburgh Ale or Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast
  • 12 oz. (0.34 kg) toasted organic (not sweetened) raw coconut
  • 2 oz. (57 g) toasted raw almonds
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Original Gravity: 1.058
  • Final Gravity: 1.036
  • IBU: 28
DIRECTIONS
Mash at 156° F (69° C) for 60 minutes.

Ferment at 68° F (20° C).

In secondary fermenter or keg (in muslin bag) add 12 oz. (0.34 kg) toasted organic (not sweetened) raw coconut and 2 oz. (57 g) toasted raw almonds. Soak for 3 days.

Force carbonate with 2 volumes (4 g/L) CO2.

Enjoying my first stout will have to let it mature a bit more though, the Coconut Stout looks interesting, anyone made this?

The homeland stout recipe Brewman put up is a winner.
Very easy drinking on tap and I’m keen to see how it ages in the stubbies.
I substituted the Target UK hops with Challanger due to availability.
Great drink, cheers for the upload Brewman.

The homeland stout recipe Brewman put up is a winner.
Very easy drinking on tap and I’m keen to see how it ages in the stubbies.
I substituted the Target UK hops with Challanger due to availability.
Great drink, cheers for the upload Brewman.

Yeah that stout is a cracker. It won the Nats that year and it's what I make when I make a dry stout.

Brewbuilder has a heap of recipe's that anyone can look at. I just post the odd one up when it seems appropriate.

On the medicinal qualities..
I recall my grandfather, while basically wasting away with bowel cancer, being given a bottle of stout each afternoon in the hospital. That was in 1988. It didn't save him, but it did put a smile on his face every afternoon.

I am hoping to get some time this weekend to brew a milk stout to have on tap come winter. This one sounds like a winner: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/left-hand-milk-stout-clone.139820/

Going by that thread, seems like it has turned out pretty good for the past 9 years. Only changes I will make will be to adjust the quantities to get ~22L batch size.

Brewed this yesterday. Original gravity reading of 1.060 at 20 degrees, so pretty close to the 1.062 estimated in the recipe, which in part might be due to using 500g (500g packet) of lactose instead of 530g for my scaled up volume. Time will tell in where it ferments out at.

I pitched Wyeast 1056, but with the gravity and volume being borderline for that yeast I also added in Safale S-04. I will report back how it turns out.

Brewed this yesterday. Original gravity reading of 1.060 at 20 degrees, so pretty close to the 1.062 estimated in the recipe, which in part might be due to using 500g (500g packet) of lactose instead of 530g for my scaled up volume. Time will tell in where it ferments out at.

I pitched Wyeast 1056, but with the gravity and volume being borderline for that yeast I also added in Safale S-04. I will report back how it turns out.

So 2 weeks on from pitching it is done at 1.026. Checked it after 1 week and was already at 1.026. Seemed a bit high so gave a gentle swirl and increased temp to 21oC. Have checked it a couple of times over the past week and hasn't budged, confirmed with 2 hydrometers. Maybe the original gravity was wrong, but can't be by much as beersmith predicted ~1.057 then adding lactose should give ~1.065.

More importantly though the hydrometer samples taste great! Doesn't taste sweet, a smidge dry tasting to be honest, but is very smooth with a lot of body. Looking forward to getting this one on tap in a few weeks time.

Maybe this deserves its own thread...but.

Has anyone here brewed an oyster stout?

I've looked at a dozen recipes and read a few threads on HBT. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the best method.

I'm thinking of chucking in a dozen oysters (Sydney rock or Pacific?) into the last 15 minutes of the boil. Undecided on the shells. They'll add calcium, but maybe too much?

Maybe this deserves its own thread...but.

Has anyone here brewed an oyster stout?

I've looked at a dozen recipes and read a few threads on HBT. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the best method.

I'm thinking of chucking in a dozen oysters (Sydney rock or Pacific?) into the last 15 minutes of the boil. Undecided on the shells. They'll add calcium, but maybe too much?
Sorry Phoney, A 4 months late reply here.
I've got my 3rd oyster stout planned - a double batch. I base it on a dry stout recipe.
I add a dozen shells to the boil at 60min. First time I did it I added the meat as well for the 60min, and ate them afterwards. They weren't great. The beer is bloody lovely. Kinda smoked. I've had nothing but praise from mates over it.
Oh yeah. Sydney Rock Oysters.

Here's my notes for my current Oyster Stout - it's a double batch based on my previous recipe.
One thing that's important, buy fresh oysters - I'd bought some last week while up at Pt Stephens, ate the oysters, brought the shells home and stupidly left them on the garage bench. When I went to use them they stunk, so had to throw them.
Luckily I'd bought 6 extra on saturday.

Oyster Stout mk3 double batch

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 45.00 Wort Size (L): 45.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.91
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.318
Anticipated EBC: 69.2
Anticipated IBU: 39.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
79.3 8.65 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
9.2 1.00 kg. Toffee Malt AUS 1.030 15
2.4 0.26 kg. CarAmber France 1.034 59
4.6 0.50 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 750
4.6 0.50 kg. JWM Roasted Malt Australia 1.032 1200

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
51.92 g. Fuggle Pellet 4.20 16.7 60 min.
51.92 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 19.8 60 min.
34.62 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.80 2.5 10 min.
20.77 g. Wye Target Pellet 11.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.87 Oz Irish Moss Fining 10 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP013 London Ale

Notes
-----

USE FRESH OYSTERS - I bought some a week ago, but they stunk really bad and
chucked them.

6 oyster shells in the mash, then transferred into the kettle.

Split between 2 kegs - London Ale yeast & Nogne O AIPA yeast

Post Brewing notes: OG= 1060. Should've been around 1055. About 40L post boil.

Had this recently from a nitro bottle, on the strong side but was tasty.
Left Hand Milk Stout Clone | Sweet Stout
INGREDIENTS
  • For 5 Gallons (19 L)
  • 7.0 lb (3.18 kg) pale malt
  • 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) roasted barley
  • 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) lactose (15 minutes before end of boil)
  • 0.75 lb (340 g) 60° L crystal malt
  • 0.75 lb (340 g) Munich malt
  • 0.75 lb (340 g) chocolate malt
  • 0.5 lb (227 g) flaked barley
  • 0.5 lb (227 g) flaked oats
  • 0.3 oz (8.5 g) Magnum pellet hops, 13% a.a. (60 min)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) E.K. Goldings pellet hops, 5% a.a. (10 min)
  • California ale yeast
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Original Gravity: 1.068
  • Final Gravity: 1.016
  • ABV: 7%
  • IBU: 19
  • SRM: 41
DIRECTIONS
To brew the Left Hand Milk Stout clone, mash at 151°F (66°C) for 90 minutes. Boil for 90 minutes, following hop schedule. Add lactose 15 minutes before end of boil.

Ferment at 70°F (21°C), then condition in secondary at 60°F (16°C) for at least one week.

Back