Damn Good Stout recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be having a go at the stout next weekend this thread has fired me up. Thaks for the incentive everyone.

WTF makes that a Porter, all continental malt and hops, lager yeast and conditions, surely its a Dark Lager!

I don't think anyone is importing Dingemans Cara Malt, you would find Weyermann CaraMunich 1 pretty close.
Lets leave the AAU crap for those brewing in Pounds, Shillings and Pence.
Same applies to colour, here all the malt is specified in EBC.

Just glancing at the recipe, I cant see it adding up, the OG isn't too far out if you allow 19L to fermenter and 2L for kettle loss and a 70% efficiency.
The alcohol calculates to 6.66% ABV
Just a quick finger count gives me a colour around 330EBC (165 SRM for the luddites) nearly double what the recipe gives (Black As)
I'm not convinced by the bitterness calculations either, I get about 10 IBU less.
Mark

One question I will be cold steeping my dark grains and adding the liquor at the start of the boil, will this have any effect on my pH? Obviously my mash willnot be a concern, I can add the salts accordingly it is the boil pH I am thinking about.

One question I will be cold steeping my dark grains and adding the liquor at the start of the boil, will this have any effect on my pH? Obviously my mash willnot be a concern, I can add the salts accordingly it is the boil pH I am thinking about.
When I cold steep the dark grains I add some baking soda to the mix to get the required ph.

The Porter recipe I posted is a Baltic style, hoping it would come somewhere close to the Zywiec Baltic Porter without so much alcohol. Got the recipe from BYO 250 clones

Made my fist stout yesterday, thanks brewman, looking and smelling good.
Going to follow it up with another one, different style leaning towards an oatmeal, cant say I like the sound of milk stout.

[Qcouldn't oalminer, post: 1505558, member: 7016"]Homeland Stout
Mashing this again at the moment. Good drink[/QUOTE]
I couldnt get any Target hops, seem a bit scarce, subbed with Williamette.

I've found long long boils get a beautiful result for stout. If your aiming for high gravity. Large pre boil, boiled down over 2 hours, actually I think I went over three hours for the best Stout I've ever made. Its the Melanoidens I must like. Also to Oak the keg by Oak blocks in a weighted hop sock pressure cooked in a mason jar of whiskey. Add all the contents of the jar in the keg. No need to remove the Oak. Its good to let the keg sit around at ambient for some time (weeks, months etc) before chilling/carbonating to serve etc. Yum Yum!

Never have tried that, will have to give it a go, just trimming some fresh buds at the moment and having a stout at the same time and was wondering what would happen if I dropped a bud in there.:)

Dan,
Can you elaborate a bit more the oak, in pressure cooker etc, ie: neat whiskey? how much, oak chips? from LHBS?
Would love to try this in my next RIS, had lots of Barrel aged in the US, my absolute favourite..
Any links to more info?

Dan,
Can you elaborate a bit more the oak, in pressure cooker etc, ie: neat whiskey? how much, oak chips? from LHBS?
Would love to try this in my next RIS, had lots of Barrel aged in the US, my absolute favourite..
Any links to more info?
Me also, liked the sound of this one.

Hi All ,
I've got a few good stout recipies, from Tetley Stout 1848 , Magee Marshall Stout, Oatmeal Stout and an Invalid Stout (1906-10) and a few oddballs such as Milk Stout ( Allsopp's) , to the truly weird and wonderful Mercer's Meat Stout!!as brewed by Dutton's of Blackburn ( originally from John Mercers brewery in Adlington , Lancashire ) ,
If anyone would like any of these , pop me a message,
Cheers
Edd

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back