Damn AusPost - rant

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rambo said:
Ha... 6 days.

My last order from Keg King took 5 weeks to Brisbane. I ordered something from Cheeky Peak a month after I placed the keg king order and received it first.
I live a 20 minute drive from Keg King, and I can guarantee Cheeky Peek would have it delivered to my door from Wodonga before I even get served. Is Keg King run by the local council? It seems they have a lot of people standing around...

Bribie G said:
When Nev in Perth was doing those liquid yeast vials (pro yeast or something?) I used to get them at the other side of the Continent via courier, still cold.

:icon_offtopic: is Nev still going? I know he was banned here but I can't seem to find his store on Google.
Don't forget he changed from Gryphon to online brewing supplies.

http://onlinebrewingsupplies.com

Personally I've never had such a bad issue with AusPost.

I daresay the issue is the local delivery contractor - I get stuff delivered to work in Sydney CBD, smack bang above the post office. Stuff usually gets here overnight from Melbourne or Brisbane even with standard postage.

The local contractors operate as a law unto themselves... a neighbour has a permanent sticker on the letterbox in my apartment block stating "Don't leave another calling card! Ring the intercom - we are home!"

klangers said:
<snip>
The local contractors operate as a law unto themselves... a neighbour has a permanent sticker on the letterbox in my apartment block stating "Don't leave another calling card! Ring the intercom - we are home!"
This is true! I have a security camera that watches my driveway, it records the events and never have I seen the delivery person walk up the (steep) driveway/steps to ring the doorbell, they look up it, then write a calling card. Lazy!

DU99 said:
wonder if it's Keg King issue
Hence my previous question, even though it still appeared to take ages after it did leave.

This is true! I have a security camera that watches my driveway, it records the events and never have I seen the delivery person walk up the (steep) driveway/steps to ring the doorbell, they look up it, then write a calling card. Lazy!
Seems they're all cut from the same cloth. Maybe it's in their contractor training.
I have a long driveway and they usually write a card, telling me to collect the parcel. I suppose that way they don't have to even carry the items to residences. Just drop them to the PO and leave a card.
Shame when they leave a note to say "Collect at the PO after 4 PM", and it's not there

We use Auspost exclusively at work to send parcells and we have had very little issue with delivery times. The only place that takes a bit longer is Tasmania. They wont even guarantee express post there.

But generally delivery time is 3 days ( sometimes 4 for NT & WA ) which is pretty good. They are as fast as couriers from the experience I have had.

Some of these couriers who offer " express" " priority" or " overnight" are full of shit

I'm leaving oz post after 10 years and some stuff is bad for sure but please, a little perspective. When a parcel contractor has 170 parcels to deliver in half a day (the other time is spent sorting the delivery sequence and playing with scanners that don't always behave as they should) you do the maths. It's a necessity to prioritise what can be delivered. I don't deliver to units or apartments - they get a card. We haven't got all day to get it done and wAit for people in apartments to come down... I deliver to 700 homes which is small, I handle over 1000 articles in a day and probably achieve 99.9% accuracy on a bad day but that's still plenty of people who will complain.

They're far from perfect but what I find interesting is people rarely say thanks when they get an article that had some other address or no address and it some-how magically turns up. Very quick to complain if it's pissing down outside and their mail gets wet etc

but then I got a bottle of red, $50 and some fudge from customers today so we must get it right occasionally

fraser_john said:

I think there is a limit in terms of distance to walk and keeping near the vehicle, they get nicked every now and then. we are supposed to maintain eyesight but I think it may have changed after several vans were targeted and stolen, probably while your friendly parcel guy was wIting for someone in an apartment to come down ... Just joking but there are usually reasons as opposed to someone wanting to get in trouble by writing a card when you were home, if you were home

Les the Weizguy said:
Seems they're all cut from the same cloth. Maybe it's in their contractor training.I have a long driveway and they usually write a card, telling me to collect the parcel. I suppose that way they don't have to even carry the items to residences. Just drop them to the PO and leave a card.Shame when they leave a note to say "Collect at the PO after 4 PM", and it's not there
There is an issue with this. If a card is written in the post office and the article never taken out it will usually state collect after 9 or 10 am as articles not going out are set aside for collection. If a card has 4pm it would logically mean, I've got your parcel, you weren't home and I expect to get back to the post office before 4pm...then I got stuck waiting for some guy looking at me through his security vision instead of coming to the door and I was delayed in returning to the post office. You came in to collect at 4 and I was running around like a blue arsed fly trying to get everything delivered

You can quote me on that too

anyway, carry on

droid said:
I don't deliver to units or apartments - they get a card.
Ah - that'd explain why I often find a card even when I've been home. I kept wondering whether I was goinf deaf and didn't hear the knock.

The level of incompetence from Australia Post amazes me every time. I got a delivery left in my letter box just 2 days ago and also a card telling me I had a package and to come and pick it up from the post office underneath it. When I looked at the package ID it was the same as the package in my letter box. Lucky I looked.

Last time I got carded it said to pick up from the post office 2km from my house when there is a post office almost directly across the road. When I go down the post office 2km away they tell me they don't have it and don't know where it is. General attitude is to get you out of there as soon as possible- "don't know/not my problem/check with the sender/you must have done something wrong". So just at a guess I try the post office across the road and there it is.

They have just introduced parcel tracking by email. I get an email that says your parcel has been dispatched - check the status of your parcel by clicking on this link - so I click the link - "Invalid parcel number".

This is all in the last 3 weeks.

I would say I've had about 99% excellent experience with AP while living in melb for 30+ years and 100% during my six months in TAS. Both sending and receiving.

droid said:
I'm leaving oz post after 10 years and some stuff is bad for sure but please, a little perspective. When a parcel contractor has 170 parcels to deliver in half a day (the other time is spent sorting the delivery sequence and playing with scanners that don't always behave as they should) you do the maths. It's a necessity to prioritise what can be delivered. I don't deliver to units or apartments - they get a card. We haven't got all day to get it done and wAit for people in apartments to come down... I deliver to 700 homes which is small, I handle over 1000 articles in a day and probably achieve 99.9% accuracy on a bad day but that's still plenty of people who will complain.

They're far from perfect but what I find interesting is people rarely say thanks when they get an article that had some other address or no address and it some-how magically turns up. Very quick to complain if it's pissing down outside and their mail gets wet etc
ok so it's not your fault but if an organisation loads you up with so much work that the only way to get it all done in a day is to piss off half your clientele then there is clearly a problem with said organisation!

I think there is a limit in terms of distance to walk and keeping near the vehicle, they get nicked every now and then. we are supposed to maintain eyesight but I think it may have changed after several vans were targeted and stolen, probably while your friendly parcel guy was wIting for someone in an apartment to come down ... Just joking but there are usually reasons as opposed to someone wanting to get in trouble by writing a card when you were home, if you were home

There is an issue with this. If a card is written in the post office and the article never taken out it will usually state collect after 9 or 10 am as articles not going out are set aside for collection. If a card has 4pm it would logically mean, I've got your parcel, you weren't home and I expect to get back to the post office before 4pm...then I got stuck waiting for some guy looking at me through his security vision instead of coming to the door and I was delayed in returning to the post office. You came in to collect at 4 and I was running around like a blue arsed fly trying to get everything delivered

You can quote me on that too

anyway, carry on
Thanks Droid, and respect to you for explaining, but the delivery here is not usually brought to my house, even when my daughter is home and her car is next to the house in the driveway.

OK, so I'm happy to admit that not all are cut from the same cloth, but I'm in a rural area out here and that's probably not quite as busy as you are, in the main.

OK, I've got to be fair. I live in a house (not apartment or unit) and have had the same AusPost parcel contractor for at least 15 years (probably 20 because I can't recall anyone else delivering). Andrew and I have built up a good friendship over the years and when he's not absolutely flat chat, he's more than happy to have a chat for 5 or 10 mins (especially in rugby season because we're both huge fans).

He's always delivered to the door, and occasionally I've made him wait for 5 mins or so while getting out of the shower etc. But he's very reliable and a bloody nice guy. I suspect he also trusts me when "officially" he shouldn't -- because on lots of occasions when the neighbours haven't been home I've offered to accept the parcel and give it to them when they get home (and fortunately I've never failed him).

So power to the contractors that really do a great job, and I know for many years AusPost has been squeezing the poor buggers dry.

Coodgee said:
ok so it's not your fault but if an organisation loads you up with so much work that the only way to get it all done in a day is to piss off half your clientele then there is clearly a problem with said organisation!
it would have been wiser - in retrospect for me to just say we are not all the same. I don't find it particularly pleasing to be tarred with a broad-stroke of the brush

piss off half my clientele would be 350 people in a day or for a contractor of parcels 80-100 people per day - I don't think that happens but it sounds good its just not reality, it might be 1 or 2

hey, I expressed posted the other day for a job which was a mad rush of a recruitment process and no time to get stuff done. my application didn't arrive in the guaranteed time, fortunately the application was scanned and emailed in time, otherwise I would have missed out - lodged a complaint through the website of aus post 2 weeks ago - still waiting, shit happens, move along

Back