Daisy Chaining Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayandcath

Reaction score
Hello to All,

I have a strange question to ask all of yee...................

Has anyone or does anyone know if this would/does work??????????????
I was told that if you had 3 kegs (or more than one) of the same beer, you can daisy chain the kegs together so that you don't have to change out the empties as often. And if your not following, take 3 kegs of the same beer and take the beer out from the first to the gas in of the second and so on, until you have all kegs in a line.....the last keg's liquid out is connected up to the tap (as normal) and first keg's gas in is connected to the CO2 (as normal) and the middle connections go from out to in and out to in etc......

I also know that some of you are thinking that this is a very strange question (and yes Chappo I am thinking of you) but the reason behind the question is because a few mates and I get away every year for a camping weekend, and last year they drained the first two kegs in 45-60mins (yes both) and I had to stop being social and reload the temprites with fresh kegs to keep the mass's from rioting, so if I thought if I could daisy chain a few keg's together it would make the initial congestion period a little easier.
Now, when I first heard this scenario I brushed it off fairly quickly as a rediculus half baked idea that would never work, BUT then I started to think about it (and I might have had a couple of beers)...................and then after all the noise stopped I thought that it might work, because the entire system is pressurised.

Any feedback is much appreciated, he says waiting to be cut down by minds, far superior to his.

Jay :blink:

Sounds like it would work. Maybe you would need to change the "gas" post with a "liquid" post on the kegs in the chain (except the first one that the gas goes onto).

Interesting idea.

Pok

Interesting... I wouldve thought the beer coming from the first keg into the second one would lose some of its gas possibly as it drops from the short gas in tube to the beer level in the second keg, and so on...

Sounds like more trouble than its worth, plus running beer thru gas in lines means more cleaning afterwards.

Maybe make a really strong beer to knock them off their socks early, to save the hassle of chaning temprites, etc...

Couldnt see why not, they are all pressurised and as long as gas is pushing through, beer should come out the other end.... :unsure:

I reckon it would work but it might waste a lot of gas considering youre preasurising mutiple kegs for only one output. Interesting idea none the less. Give it a go and see if it works.

Aaron

Throwing a thought out there. What if you split the gas lines eg. 3 and also split the beer lines into the same number of parts to join into one. ??

Edit: Grammar

It would work, but you would need to open the relief valve from the end keg (nearest the tap) to bleed beer into the entire headspace, working via kegs back towards the CO2 supply. This way as beer is transferred from one keg to the next it is flowing into beer and not dropping into the next keg. So you just need a simple chain of gas to beer posts joiners.

Only question? 2 kegs in 40 mins; thats roughly 1 carton of beer every 10mins?? How many people? They should be helping swap these kegs out, or have two/ more systems running at a time. and lets face it, it does not take that long to swap over a keg..

QldKev

Throwing a thought out there. What if you split the gas lines eg. 3 and also split the beer lines into the same number of parts to join into one. ??

Edit: Grammar

HMMMMM... would one line be able to hold the preassure of 3 or so kegs? If so then that'd work I reckon.

Aaron

HMMMMM... would one line be able to hold the preassure of 3 or so kegs? If so then that'd work I reckon.

Aaron

Should be the same pressure no matter how many kegs are atached.

Hello to All,

I have a strange question to ask all of yee...................

Has anyone or does anyone know if this would/does work??????????????

Hi Jay, this system definitely works - it's how busy pubs serve beer to save having to make a run to the cellar every time a keg blows. I used to work at a busy pub in Carlton (Melbs) and we ran banks of 4 kegs for each tap. As long as only up to three kegs were emptied per line, we could run down and throw on another three to fill up the bank and keep the beer flowing.
It was a commercial set up of course, but the principle applies at home too.

The gas goes in the normal IN post on the back keg and then you run from the OUT to the next keg's IN post. You'll just need the correct disconnects to fit the posts of course. The gas in the tail keg pushes all the way through the system.

Just make sure the beer is all from the same batch ;)

Should be the same pressure no matter how many kegs are atached.

Nah it would be the sum of the three preassures(or close to there is an equation but i never paid attention to physical chemistry :rolleyes: ). Three joining flows into one area of lesser area will increase preassure always, its just like when two rivers meet the current generally increases.

Aaron

i cant even get my mates to drink my beer, let alone drink 2 kegs in 45 minutes...... any way you go im sure they will be happy :)

Edit: Spartan.....i love your quote :)

Nah it would be the sum of the three preassures(or close to there is an equation but i never paid attention to physical chemistry :rolleyes: ). Three joining flows into one area of lesser area will increase preassure always, its just like when two rivers meet the current generally increases.

Aaron

But if they are "daisy chained" then there is only one supply of gas and the 3 kegs are at the same pressure....so over all the pressure coming out the end should be same if there was 1 or 10 kegs in the chain??? I'm pretty sure this would be right. The gas would "equalise" over the kegs in the chain and just push the beer from keg 1 to 2 to 3 to......until it reaches the end keg and then the tap.

If however all three kegs had seperated gas supplies and the out lines were junctioned together then there would be an increase I would think.

Anyway if you want to try it fill the kegs with water and hook them up...see what happens. Easy way to test.

Pok

surely it will work.

Thats a common method at beer festivals over here. Thats no problem at all. Just connect the beer post of the last keg to the gas post of the keg before it.

have fun :icon_cheers:

surely it will work.

Thats a common method at beer festivals over here. Thats no problem at all. Just connect the beer post of the last keg to the gas post of the keg before it.

have fun :icon_cheers:

Thanks Zwickel, I was going to shoot you a PM about this for fear of crazy answers. But I am stoaked to see your reply and thanks mate I appreciate your comments.
How's the Red Brewery advertising going in Germany :D

Thanks mate

Jay

But if they are "daisy chained" then there is only one supply of gas and the 3 kegs are at the same pressure....so over all the pressure coming out the end should be same if there was 1 or 10 kegs in the chain??? I'm pretty sure this would be right.

Yes this is right. However if you refer to the post I was replying to you will find that kenlock was talking about having gass split into three then joining the three outputs into one, not daisychaining.

Aaron

How's the Red Brewery advertising going in Germany :D

Jay, thanks again for your kind prezzie, have a look:

3821.JPG
3820.JPG

:icon_chickcheers:

Do it all the time at work, no matter the fittings or the keg, principle is the same. All you need is the one gas source on the end keg.

Scotty

Latest posts

Back