D.i.y. Toasting Malt Experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, no photos but it just looked like the real thing :p Choc was choc, crystal was sweet and golden with the dark centre. Its pretty hit or miss stuff, I would only do it with a dark beer and lets face it, who cares with a porter. There was no chance of trying to replicate Munich or Viena as its made with Unmalted barley. But anything roasted is easy as, and even crystal was fun to make.

Steve

There was no chance of trying to replicate Munich or Viena as its made with Unmalted barley.

Is Munich and Vienna kilned in its raw state before going thru malting? I was always under the assumption that i was malted then kilned.

I am not sure what book I got it from but it was either Noonans, Ray Daniels or Palmers. But thats the story, but I suspect there is a lot more to it aswell. Just stay tuned as I am sure someone will post the process, soon!

Steve

I always thaught (from memory) on that little chart in Daniels book, it goes from raw > pale malts (pilsner, ale malts) and these can step up to 'highly kilned malts e.g. Munich & Vienna. I remember reading somwhere vienna and munich are kept wet/humid whilst going thru the drying process as this enhances the melanoidens. This process also denatures the malted barley so it has less power to convert compared to dry kilned pale malts.

In summary, the options i can remember where:
Raw > pale malts
Raw > pale malts > highly kilned (this also included Melanoiden, Amber, Victory etc with the usual suspects of Munich and Vienna)
Raw > pale malts > Crystal Malts
Raw > pale malts > Roast Malts
Raw > roasted barley

MALT PRODUCTION: What makes Munich malt production unique?
by Al Korzonas ([email protected])
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the fine DeWolf-Cosyns malts reached the US, I was puzzled by the difference between their Aromatic and Biscuit malts, both of which are about 25 degrees Lovibond in colour. After some investigation, I found that the difference was that Aromatic was high-kilned, produced like Munich malt and that Biscuit was toasted malt.

In response to a series of posts on the Homebrew Digest, I have put together the following article which describes the differences in production between pale malts (such as Pale Ale and Pilsner), high-kilned malts (such as Vienna, Munich and Aromatic) and roasted malts (such as Biscuit, Victory(tm), Chocolate, Carafa®, Black Patent and Roasted Malt). This article will center mostly on high-kilned malts and then describe the production differences between them and the other types of malt.

The Kiln
A kiln is a large "room," effectively, usually with multiple levels, which has slotted floors so that ventilation air can be blown up from below or sucked up from above. The volume and temperature of the air and the amount of recirculation can be controlled.
There are two parts to kilning: the "drying phase" and the "curing phase." The temperature of the curing phase is what distinguishes Munich (usually about 8 Lovibond) and Aromatic (25 Lovibond), but it's the drying phase that distinguishes pale malts from "high-kilned" malts like Vienna, Munich and Aromatic [DeClerck, p.182].

Drying Phase
In the kiln, there are three factors: time, temperature and ventilation. For the production of pale malts like Pale Ale and Pilsner malt, the temperature is relatively low (40-45C) and ventilation is very high. Moisture is removed rapidly and the malts are therefore dried quite quickly. Once the moisture is below 10%, the temperature can be raised. Raising the temperature earlier would result in significant enzyme loss. The low moisture protects the malt enzymes from denaturing [DeClerck, p196].
For the production of high-kilned malts like Vienna, Munich and Aromatic, the initial temperature during the drying phase is higher (about 50C). Furthermore, the ventilation is considerably lower. As a result, the moisture content of the malt only drops to about 20% in the first 24 hours [DeClerck, p.197]. Typically, high-kilned malts take about twice as long to make as pale malts [Malting and Brewing Science, p.177]. Clearly there is a significant amount of enzyme loss in the production of high- kilned malts, but this higher temperature drying is important for the production of high levels of soluble sugars and amino acids which are later utilized in the production of melanoidins via Maillard reactions and Amadori rearrangements [Malting and Brewing Science, p.105]. It's these melanoidins that give high-kilned malts their colour and characteristic aroma.

Interestingly, the temperature profile of Vienna malt kilning looks more like Pilsner rather than Munich malt (from fig.79 on page 198 of DeClerck).

Curing Phase
Pale malts typically are cured at 80 to 95C for 5 hours. Temperatures above 80C, however, are only used if the malt is not over-modified and was dried at low temperatures. Munich malt is typically cured at 105C for 5 hours [DeClerck, p.197]. Aromatic malt is typically cured at 115C [Busch, personal communication].
Crystal Malts
Crystal malts have something in common with high-kilned malts in that the ventilation is restricted during the initial period. They can be made in a kiln or in a special roasting drum. In either case, the wet (green) malt is put into the kiln or roaster from the germination tanks and the moisture is kept very high with absolutely no ventilation. Frequent water additions are sprayed to keep the moisture high. The temperature is raised to 60 to 70C for 30 to 40 minutes. Then the temperature is raised to 150C and normal ventilation is resumed for 1 to 2 hours, depending on how much caramelization is desired (i.e. depending on whether 10L crystal or 90L crystal is being made). If prepared in the kiln, further drying is necessary [DeClerck, p242].
During the initial hot, wet heat, the malt effectively converts right in the husk. Alas, all the enzymes are denatured during this period. Because the starches in the crystal malt have been converted to sugars, crystal malts do not require mashing and can be steeped in hot water for use in extract brewing.

Roasting and Toasting
With the exception of crystal, all malts are dried in the kiln and then can optionally go into the roaster. A barrel roaster is the most common type and consists of a rotating drum that's heated from below. It also has water sprayers installed which are used to douse the malt (to cool it quickly) when it is done (although I suppose it may be used to put out fires too, which I'm told are more common than the maltsters would like!).
Biscuit and Victory are often called "toasted" malts. Really the difference between these and the much darker Chocolate and Black Patent is time and (mostly) temperature. There is some disagreement between maltsters whether damp or dry malt should be used in the roasting drum [DeClerck, p.244], but most maltsters use dry malt similar to Pilsner or Pale Ale malt. In the barrel roaster they make Biscuit, Victory(tm), Chocolate, Carafa®, Black Patent and Roasted Malt. They also start with dry barley and make Roasted Barley and Black Barley in the roaster.

Summary
So, as we can see, there is more to Munich malt production than just higher temperatures in the kiln -- at the expense of some diastatic and proteolytic power, high-kilned malts are dried in a hotter, *higher- moisture* kiln for the first 24 hours and only *then* raised to a high temperature. Biscuit, on the other hand is dried just like Pilsner or Pale Ale malt and then roasted lightly till it is 25 degrees Lovibond.
Incidentally, Aromatic malt still has enough enzymatic power to convert itself, but Biscuit has essentially no enzymes left and must therefore rely on other malts' enzymes for conversion.

Victory is a trademark of Briess Malting Co.
Carafa is a registered trademark of Mich. Weyermann GmbH.

Great read thanks.
So if one wanted to make amber malt then roasting dry some pale ale malt would do the trick yes?

Yep, and a little bit more for brown malt, and a lit more at a higher temp for nice dark choc malt. This was how I came up with 3 different roast malts for the Porter. Just took 3 500g lots and roasted for various lengths of time. A bit of mucking around but well worth it. Just let it air for a couple of weeks to let the volitiles escape as it tastes a bit harsh straight after roasting.

I think i may have actually read parts of that article somewhere SJW.

So if ive got this right, Melanoiden, biscuit, victory etc are roasted malts that have undrgoe the kinling process that munich/vienna style malts do. Carafa, choc, black patent, roast malt, amber malt etc are all from a pale base that is then roasted

If so, it makes sense from their flavour profiles anyway.

I wonder if you can reverse the drying kilning process and still turn pale malt into a munich type malt?

Heres some good info on malting too.

Your North American Malt Supplier
Northwest Premium Malts
Premium Two Row: Our traditional premium quality two-row malt. We utilize several Western varieties to maintain stringent quality standards. Color is 1.8 to 2.2.
Northwest Pale Ale: Great Westerns higher-color two-row malt. This product is a well-modified Western grown two-row with colors ranging from 2.6 to 3.0 (ASBC).
Wheat Malt: Northwest wheat for the production of traditional German Weissbier and American Wheat Beer.
Munich Malt: Germinating malt is stewed then kilned at 200F. Provides color without introducing the caramel/crystal flavor. Color is 8 to 10 ASBC.
Vienna Malt: Processed like Munich with shorter cure duration. Color is 3 to 4 ASBC.
Northwest Specialty Malts
Northwest C15: A lightly roasted two-row malt. The slight caramel flavor and light color provides the brewer with subtlety in the recipe.
Northwest C40: A fully modified and saccharified two-row crystal malt roasted to a target color of 40 ASBC. A versatile malt providing moderate color and caramel flavor.
Northwest C60: Similar to C40 but with a more extensive roasting to a target color of 60 ASBC. Has a more pronounced caramel flavor to coincide with the color.
Northwest C75: This two-row malt is roasted to product a color of 75 ASBC. At this roasting level the toffee flavors join the caramel character for a more complex flavor.
Northwest C120: As longer roasting times are used to reach colors of 120 ASBC, this crystal malt takes on a fairly intense toffee flavor but still avoids the burnt character of chocolate or black malts.
Northwest C150: Similar to the C120, but with a much more intense flavor and color. May get a hint of the burnt character.
Bairds Specialty Malt Products
Carastan: A fully crystallized malt with a lighter caramel/toffee-like flavor. Color is 30 to 37 ASBC.
Crystal: Flavors are more intense than Carastan but basically have the same caramel/toffee-like characteristics. We have two color ranges: 50 to 60 and 70 to 80 ASBC.
Dark Crystal: Highly roasted caramel malt having an intense caramel flavor and slight burnt note. Color is 135 to 165 ASBC.
Black: Provides a rich dark color as well as roasted, burnt or astringent flavors in stouts and porters. Color is 500 to 600 ASBC.
Chocolate: The same attributes as Black but paler in color. Color is 450 to 500 ASBC.
Brown: Provides a dry, almost biscuit like flavor to the beer. Color is 50 to 70 ASBC.
Roasted Barley: Provides color but has a sharper drier flavor than roasted malt. Color is 500 to 600 ASBC.
Munich: Provides color without introducing the caramel/crystal flavors, gives a rich malty flavor to the beer. Color is 5 to 7 ASBC.
British Pale Ale: The British Pale Ale is made strictly from Maris Otter barley.

We've got you covered coast to coast.

For inquiries call these toll-free numbers:
Eastern US and Canada 800-522-6258
Western US 800-496-7732
Western Canada 866-310-8694
Email Canadian Sales: [email protected]
Email US Sales: [email protected]

CMC/GWM, All Rights Reserved.

Carastan: A fully crystallized malt with a lighter caramel/toffee-like flavor. Color is 30 to 37 ASBC.

Ive always wanted a decent little description of carastan. looks like JW caramalt or Weyermann Carahell would be the perfect options as a replacment for this.

Yes, I am starting to get an appreciation for the lighter crystals. I was brewing for ages before I even used crystal but there is some nice mellow flavours from these grains in a low hopped beer.

Steve

Yeah so many uses other than the impression low SRM crystals have of adding just dextrins and sweetness like carapils. So many neuances of flavour/aroma as the crystals step-up in SRM.

Just to bump this back up again. When Steve posted his findings the other day it had me thinking. Always wanting to have a bit more "control" over the process. My wife purchased a Convection Roasting Oven the other day. Got the big "no-no" for brewing experiments.

Thought bugger it what she doesn't know won't hurt her. :rolleyes: Long story short it really seems to work a treat! What I (hopefully) have here is 500g of home roasted brown malt. :beerbang:

Shoddy pics enclosed.

Warren -

Image129.jpg

Image130.jpg

Looks good. The problem I found with my Porter was its hard to judge the colour. It ended up way dark, and with the Crystal its hard to tell how dark the centre of the grain is as the husk stays light due to the mashing and its hard to know how much conversion has taken place.
Lots of fun though but SWMBO said just to spend the extra 50c per brew and buy the specialty grain rather that stuff around with the over for 3 hours at a time.
Good fun though.

Steve

Looks good warren, be good if you could agitiate te grain whilst it was roasting to get an even roast.

Has anyone seen Heston B's in search of perfection christmas episode?!?! he was prepping special grain for the geese he was going to serve up and chucked a whole lot of grain into a new cement mixer and got one of those industrial blowtorch heaters to roast it....... if there was a way todo this on a small scale.....

Rotisserie is a good idea, maybe grip one of those 'corinthian' wafer biscuit cylinder tins' in it, it would hold around 500g of grain... just dont know how well the tin would hold up!

I've been thinking about roasting some malted wheat in hopes of getting some dark wheat for dunkel weizens. According to my googling it's a field of rare endeavour. So far I've found that you can roast wheat malt for 45 minutes at 180c, but I'm wondering whether it should be wet or dry?

As for using a rotisserie, that's a brilliant idea - I'm thinking maybe a 4l paint tin (clean of course) could work well as a tumbler.

cheers

grant

As for using a rotisserie, that's a brilliant idea - I'm thinking maybe a 4l paint tin (clean of course) could work well as a tumbler.

Im pretty sure you can buy empty brand new ones designed for mixing your own!?!?!

Latest posts

Back