Currently Undertaking First Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tintin

Reaction score
Midway thru first partial (oatmeal stout). Boil commenced. Third degree burns attended to. Wifey gone anyway so mess on floor oblivious. Christ, I need a bigger pot, currently doing a split...no good. But smells bloody good. This what I do:
1kg pale ale malt
250g crystal
50g choc
300g oatmeal

Then!
1 kit Coopers Irish stout
1kg LME dark

Irish ale liquid yeast (saved from a previous chocolate stout, bottled same night)

Jovial Monk says not to drink on brewing nights, Tintin says Get Stuck In, Makes Cleaning Up Later Easier...

Good luck to me and my first foray into grain.......

I believe drinking on brewday is possible so long as you realise it is covered by the Law of Diminishing Returns. Good luck with it and be careful!

I'd be interested to read a follow up post regarding the quality of the brew/injuries sustained/damage to equipment or house etc and if you believe the law of diminshing returns applies to a brew day(or evening in this case).

NB: Captain Haddock was a rum man and he managed to get out of many a scrape with Tintin while he was well lubricated. Billions of blue blistering barnacles etc etc. (Please forgive me - I couldn't help myself)

Funnily enough my alter ego on this board's U.S. equivelent WAS Capn' Haddock. Blistering fingertips more likely.....hell, that wort is hot...
Well, I've finished so we'll see what shape the final product is, preferbly not a cardboard ale. but I definitely need a larger pot, at least 15l.

Where's Professor Bloody Calculus when you need him...and bugger Joylon Wagg...Rastapopoulous was probably a drinker, he can join in, but not his Arab mates...

Looks like plenty of fun was had at the Tintin Brewery!!

How'd the mash go???

Cheers,
TL

Fermenting nicely thankyou. No off-smells or flavours (I had a wee taste this morning). Very happy with self. However, one of the problems I experienced (aside from having to do a split boil), was pouring the wort from my little esky into the brew pot. I might have to ladle the stuff out in future. Better gear is on the horizon, but for now I've only got the esky which is fine for these small partials (2-3kg of grain and 4-5litres of water fit nicely). I've heard of hot side aeration, so any ideas on how to transfer the fresh wort from esky to pot would be good.

tintin said:
Fermenting nicely thankyou. No off-smells or flavours (I had a wee taste this morning). Very happy with self. However, one of the problems I experienced (aside from having to do a split boil), was pouring the wort from my little esky into the brew pot. I might have to ladle the stuff out in future. Better gear is on the horizon, but for now I've only got the esky which is fine for these small partials (2-3kg of grain and 4-5litres of water fit nicely). I've heard of hot side aeration, so any ideas on how to transfer the fresh wort from esky to pot would be good.
[post="119397"][/post]​

Congrats on the first of hopefully many mashes!! :super:

For a partial mash, I grab a large soup ladle and scoop the grains out of the 6 pack esky into the colander and sparge by drizzling a jug of sparge water over the grains. It takes a bit longer, but you make much less mess and I've found that 3 to 4 scoops will take about 400ml of sparge water, without extracting tannins - and I do the whole thing twice. So, roughly speaking, I can get around 10 litres of wort from around 2 kilos of grain but it isn't anywhere near as efficient as actually building a proper mashtun. My partial efficiency usually hovers around 70-75% and occasionally if I get conchy, I can push it up to 80% extraction...I have a clear bucket to put the spent grains in, and I HATE seeing the sweet liquor in the bottom of the bucket when I toss the grains in the compost - that's good wort going to waste!! :angry:

Re Hot Side Aeration (HSA), it's not an issue when you go from the esky to the boil pot as the extract gets boiled and you shouldn't get HSA from the pre-boil wort - the rolling boil knocks out a lot of O2 from the wort. Where you need to be careful is in handling the post-boil wort before it drops under approx. 70C - and as I mentioned on other posts, this is why you need to be careful in how you add a kit concentrate to the wort at the end of the boil / flameout (er that's if you are adding a can of goo). You need to stir gently and avoid bubbles or inadvertantly introducing air to the hot wort.
There is some speculation that HSA is a bit of a momily and many suggest that it's not an issue - but to be honest, I prefer to avoid risk so I basically handle hot wort very carefully (apart from the obvious burning side issues!) and that way I minimise any risk of introducing undesireable affects to the final result.

Of course, once the wort is cooled to yeast pitching temps, you can add air, which I recommend and do with an aquarium pump and an aeration curtain from the local hobby shop - and aerating chilled wort definitely helps out the yeast in adapting to the wort (the adaptive phase) and further ensuring that you have a decent cell count when the yeast starts the fermentation process (the attenuative phase). So only add air or O2 to the wort prior to pitching yeast and after it's cooled to yeast pitching temp.

Cheers,
TL

no worries mate,

using a secondary is a matter of much debate anyway, i got away without doing one for many years. it mainly decreases the risk of autolysis, which is what happens when the yeast dies at the bottom of the fermenter. never had that issue personally.

No worries. I'll do it by ladle until a mash tun with filter can be made. I was hanging to try a partial and funds were limited, so the small esky had to be bought. In the meantime it's a good exercise in partial mashing and I'm starting to get my head around what grains to mash together. Found a grain supplier who is happy to grind the mix (providing it's small). Can't wait to try this batch...I hope I'll tell the difference between kit and partial. This might be the slippery slope I've been warned about... :eek:

Yep, scoop out and sparge the grains until the tun is empty and then do it all one more time to get the most out of the grains without extracting too many harsh tannins. The grain flavours are amazing compared to the malt extract. It's a bit like comparing instant coffee with freshly ground beans - sure it's coffee (Jim) but not as we know it!!

You were on the slippery slope when you bought the grains! Go with it...!

Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back