Culturing Yeast From A Bottle Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0M39A

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had a go at culturing the yeast from a bottle of moo brew pale ale (1056)

I know my method was a bit off (pitched the dregs of a stubby into a 1.5L wort instead of stepping up to it, oops!)

did a boil of 100g malt extract and 1.5L water + a packet of coopers yeast as a nutriant (yes, the yeast was boiled, lol)

took a couple days to get going, but eventually fermented out fine. kept it behind my pc so the warmth from it kept it warm, :p

now i have (what looks like) a nice yeast culture. can see a dark line at the bottom (probably dead coopers yeast + break), then a nice creamy white layer on top of that which i believe is the real yeast?

anyways, had a smell, is a bit odd, but not terrible. taste is the same. nothing i would describe as a overly "bad" taste, slightly sweet, can taste the alcohol in it. a few "funky" flavours that i guess could be put down to stressed + warm yeast.

i know there isnt much advice that can be given over a forum as you cant taste it or smell it yourselves, im just looking for some reassurance before pitching it :p

is my first go at yeast culturing, and its only going into a twocan + extras incase it is off.

My guess the funky flavours are from the higher ferment temp thanks to the pc. Why not try and maintain the normal 18-20 for an ale yeast

My guess the funky flavours are from the higher ferment temp thanks to the pc. Why not try and maintain the normal 18-20 for an ale yeast

I say warm as in it would have been around 25C.

warmer temps are good for making starters as you want the yeast to be nice and active, and as you are only pitching a small amount of liquid (compared to your full batch size), the byproducts of a hotter ferment arent much of an issue.

this is what ive been lead to believe anyway.

I say warm as in it would have been around 25C.

warmer temps are good for making starters as you want the yeast to be nice and active, and as you are only pitching a small amount of liquid (compared to your full batch size), the byproducts of a hotter ferment arent much of an issue.

this is what ive been lead to believe anyway.

Thats the way I understand it as well
- even more so if you skim the yeast from the starter and discard the liquid. supposedly a small amount of starter doesn't have a great deal of effect on a large amount of wort - and the yeast should have time to clean up what little by product if present from tipping in the entire starter I guess

probably wear a bit for this (puts on asbestos suit) but I've just used Coopers Pale Ale yeast by drinking a six pack (poured into a glass) collecting the yeasty dregs, left at room temp and then throwing that straight into my wort. Gone off like a cracker.... no probs with off flavours etc..... Very happy with the results. Then again I'm pretty new to this game

Just pitched the yeast then, so fingers crossed all goes well

probably wear a bit for this (puts on asbestos suit) but I've just used Coopers Pale Ale yeast by drinking a six pack (poured into a glass) collecting the yeasty dregs, left at room temp and then throwing that straight into my wort. Gone off like a cracker.... no probs with off flavours etc..... Very happy with the results. Then again I'm pretty new to this game

cant see why it would be a problem. As long as they dont get a chance to get nasties in them, the yeasties will take over before anything else gets a foothold in the fermenter :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back