Cubing and hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philistine

Reaction score
Hey dudes,
Ive always been a no chill brewer, but most recently ive also become a no-cube-no-chill brewer and just left wort in the pot overnight to then transfer to fermenter the next morning.
Ive never had any infection issues doing it this way, except im beginning to suspect its messing with my hopping & bittering.
Would leaving wort to cool while the hops crud is still in it (ie. In the kettle) lead to more bitterness than cubing?

Maybe this seems like a no-brainer to some , but ive always been under the impression that the change from aroma to flavour to bitterness that occurs over extended periods of time during the boil is a change that happens to the oils and compounds that have already been drawn out from the hops into solution...
So in other words, and taking into account the extended "boil" time that needs to be factored in to no-chill brewing, would -for example- a whirlpool hop addition lead to a more bitter flavour if left to sit in the pot overnight as opposed to being left behind after cubing?
I hope that makes sense....

Anyway, thanks in advance!

My 40L urn tends to retain heat very well. When I first got it I did a test boil with 20L water, I left it overnight and 12hr later it was still at least 40C. Whirlpool hops are added after flame out, but the temp is still high enough to extract some AA's. If you're leaving them in and not cooling then I guess there's even more AA isomerisation (conversion of the AA to a stable, soluble isomer) going on, albeit at a lower rate. I can imagine that your whirlpool hops would impart more bitterness than mine given that I use an immersion chiller.

Maybe you can find an AA isomerisation vs temp vs time chart or something like that to get an idea of what is going on.

I hope you don't glad wrap your kettle for the no-chill, urns have imploded in the past due to the pressure change.

Isomerisation pretty much stops once you get to below 80 degrees, your kettle will be retaining heat longer than the no-chill cube (more time above 80) and those resulting in more bitterness. Maybe time the rate at which your wort cools in the kettle. My cubes get to below 80 in less than 20mins.

Yeah i do glad wrap, but its a keggle not an urn. I didnt think of the cooling time difference between cube vs. keggle...

Back