Cubes...whats The Drum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpletotoro

Reaction score
i recently lagered a pilsner for the first time and noticed the hugh differnce in clarity that resulted...
and have decided that i should also give cc a go for my ales ...heres the rub though i can only fit 1 fermenter into my beer fridge hence i want to buy some cubes but have a couple of question
[1] whats the best type of cube to get (tall and skinny?...fat and squat? are all cubes created equal ? ...how do i know if its food grade plastic?
[2]given that you can't just bung your hand inside a cube (like you do a fermenter) how the hell do you keep them clean ...?
[3] where the best place in brisbane to buy some for a reasonable price ? and while i'm at it how much is a reasonable price?
cheers simpletotoro

Big W blue 25 litre cubes have worked a treat for me. $18ish each plus $1.50 taps. Just soak in homebrand napisan overnight as per directions on the pack. You can also bend a bottlebrush up a bit to reach those pesky bits but mostly the napisan cleans up all the scum you can throw at it. You can use a normal airlock at an angle for racking or do as I do and drill a hole in the lid and use clear plastic tubing into a glass of iodophor or other sanitiser. I actually use these cubes for 1st ferment as I can do two at once in my fridge with a mashmaster temp controller and heatpad.

i recently lagered a pilsner for the first time and noticed the hugh differnce in clarity that resulted...
and have decided that i should also give cc a go for my ales ...heres the rub though i can only fit 1 fermenter into my beer fridge hence i want to buy some cubes but have a couple of question
[1] whats the best type of cube to get (tall and skinny?...fat and squat? are all cubes created equal ? ...how do i know if its food grade plastic?
[2]given that you can't just bung your hand inside a cube (like you do a fermenter) how the hell do you keep them clean ...?
[3] where the best place in brisbane to buy some for a reasonable price ? and while i'm at it how much is a reasonable price?
cheers simpletotoro

I bought my "cubes" from Kmart. They are 20L light blue jerry cans which can hold about 23L. I think the size is important - you don't want much headspace when lagering or cc'ing. My jerrycans accommodate batch sizes from 18-23L. Just squeeze 'em with your knees to get excess air out before storing in the fridge. So...

[1] In my opinion the popular 20L jerrycan shape. I could fit 3 next to each other nicely in my last fridge.

[2] I think the main thing is always give them a good rinse after use to and then just fill them with nappy san solution to soak overnight (or a week if you fill them and then get lazy like me sometimes). Haven't had a problem so far this way.

[3] Not sure about Brisbane but I'm sure you could try a Kmart, BigW or similar. They were usually around $20 at Kmart when I bought them but they have sales every now and then so I bought my 3 for $39. Next sale I see I will get some more...

cheers Andrei

thanks guys ...i live about 1 km away from all the major retailers ...will give them a browse sometime this week...
sorry don't quite understand this gilbrew ?
You can use a normal airlock at an angle for racking

cheers simpletotoro

shop around, try cheap camping stores as well
just picked up a ~27L cube for about $10

super auto cheap sell 20 litre willow cubes for about $15 bucks

Just got a 20l cube from downunder camping on pickering street for $13. They had a few different types as well.

I got mine from my work. Used to contain de-ionised water for the forklifts, got about half a dozen for free.

Have both types, prefer the 25L squat Jerrys as they fit my fridge/freezers better, pretty hard to get. The 25L Cubes are good to. Buy the foodgrade/water type for camping, was in K mart today and I see they have 25% off camping gear $17.99 for a 25L cube with tap, pretty good buying!

Pic:

Jerrys_and_Cubes.JPG

Other option is to try home brew shops that sell fresh wort packs.

Often they give customers a small refund for returning the empty cubes. All you then need to do is offer them more money than they get off the supplier of the fresh worts.

i've also noticed the volume stated on the container is a load of crap, thankfully on the upside. My ~27L cube said 25L. I certainly don't mind the extra room for free :)

Has anyone measured the real volume of a 20L cube?

I just bought a 25L one at a camping store for $17, which I thought was expensive, but looking at what others here are saying I didn't do too badly!

Has anyone measured the real volume of a 20L cube?

My "20L"'s always hold my 23L brews with a bit of head room left over so I'd say they are close to 25L.
(Got mine from Bunnings a while back)

Back