Cubes For Grain Storage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
With the Melbourne bulk buy coming up I have been considering my storage options again. I am using tubs from Bunnings at the moment, but they do not provide an air tight seal and so are still prone to insect attack.

I just thought of cubes.....with a good enough funnel it would be easy to fill a cube and the grain would pour out easy enough for weighing. They stack well, are air tight, durable etc....

I've thought of this but have never actually tried it.

Frankly I think not being air tight may be a good thing. There is still some moisture in grain and if its air tight and gets warm it could go moudly etc. I have always stored my bags of grain either in metal garbage bins or plastic crates. Both have worked fine for many many years.

I've thought of this but have never actually tried it.

Frankly I think not being air tight may be a good thing. There is still some moisture in grain and if its air tight and gets warm it could go moudly etc. I have always stored my bags of grain either in metal garbage bins or plastic crates. Both have worked fine for many many years.

He could always just not overtighten them so they are not completely airtight. ??

Then there's little advantage over a crate or garbage bin...

Maybe Faser is looking at this as a better way to stack it out of the way. I use a plastic bin inside my house, but can't stack anything on top of it b/c of the concave lid.

Crates are stackable. A lot more stable than cubes too.

Crates are stackable. A lot more stable than cubes too.

Yes, the crates are more stackable, but found the lids on the cheaper just split when three were stacked on top of each other. I have two now that re almost unusable as the lids are just all busted up :(

Yes, the crates are more stackable, but found the lids on the cheaper just split when three were stacked on top of each other. I have two now that re almost unusable as the lids are just all busted up :(

Cubes work fine as grain storers. I have 8 cubes from a free source that each take about 5kg of grain. They stack well and kept out the mice plague last summer. Wouldn't recommend if you buy grain in 25kg bags but if you buy in 5kg lots they make fine containers. Just get a decent (Wide mouthed) funnel.

Hint - when filling the cube you should periodically ram (compress) the grain level down to allow you to fit more into the cube. Not easy but useful.

Latest posts

Back