Cube Plug Removal Tool

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exactly the same one as I use

Those promo bottle openers ever 2nd company seems to give out work great. I put a different colour one on each of my key sets so i which is which, then i can open a beer or cube plug whenever... ;)

example photo

Bung_Tightener.JPG

TP

I use one of these...

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Fing.jpg

I use a pencil.

The pencil is rounded so it needs to be attached to something flat. For that I use a steel ruler which I attach with cable ties, some glue and a matchstick. I then put the whole thing in clear casting resin and let it set well for around a week.

After that, it needs to be sanded with wet and dry sandpaper (anything under 80 grit is preferred) until the edges are just opaque in regular daytime sun (around 2 pm). Sit it in the fridge for a day or so and you have the perfect cube plug removal system.

Mine is automated using the engine from inside an old remote controlled race car and some rubber bands bound in a chassis which I picked up for a song at the local op shop (was actually a converted aluminium saucepan.

Ridiculously easy. Why would you use a screwdriver?

I use a pencil.

The pencil is rounded so it needs to be attached to something flat. For that I use a steel ruler which I attach with cable ties, some glue and a matchstick. I then put the whole thing in clear casting resin and let it set well for around a week.

After that, it needs to be sanded with wet and dry sandpaper (anything under 80 grit is preferred) until the edges are just opaque in regular daytime sun (around 2 pm). Sit it in the fridge for a day or so and you have the perfect cube plug removal system.

Mine is automated using the engine from inside an old remote controlled race car and some rubber bands bound in a chassis which I picked up for a song at the local op shop (was actually a converted aluminium saucepan.

My mum doesn't let me play with matches (since the fire). Do you think I could use a toothpick instead?

That will screw up the balance of the tool. Imitation matchstick?

I use a pencil.

A fcukin good chuckle!

Funny thread!. I always use a big arse screwrdiver.

I use a pencil.

made me lol

I use a pair of needlenose pliers opened to their fullness so each pointy bit is in opposite corners of the square bit.

That said, all my bungs are shredded to all hell from using a big arse-screwdriver that was slightly too small, and are all way too tight to do with a finger. I think ill buy one of those tools. the proper one.

Surely someone could make a "fully automated bung removal" tool.

While on the subject, what about a fermenter lid removal tool, I saw one somewhere using a big piece of plywood, any other ideas?

My gladwrap lid never gets stuck :ph34r:

can you show us your gladwrap removal tool?

Back