Cube Hopping And Whirlpooling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... Helping out at a local brewery I know the process there is Flame out, pump to
whirlpool, leave in whirlpool until spinning has pretty much stopped then pump
through chiller to fermenter. ...
Extra handling and all but could put in between the flame out and whirlpooling
a prelim chilling stage to get wort down to below hop effective isomerisation
temp, then whirlpool, then final chill to fermenter?

Suppose this means brewing more beer til we get it right. :D
Cheers
Hear! Hear! :party:

I always do the same beer back to back (for the most part), no chill both and then experiment which method of hopping works best ie. cube hops @ times between 10-20mins, hop tea, mini boil and dry hopping. I make notes on what I do and then compare the beers side by side to determine which is the best approach for my gear then record for future brewing. I have found some methods work great for one style of beer but not so well for others. I guess it is all a matter of personal preference, experience and equipment.

What's the worst that can happen? I'll make beer and be wiser for the process.

JD

I always do the same beer back to back (for the most part), no chill both and then experiment which method of hopping works best ie. cube hops @ times between 10-20mins, hop tea, mini boil and dry hopping. I make notes on what I do and then compare the beers side by side to determine which is the best approach for my gear then record for future brewing. I have found some methods work great for one style of beer but not so well for others. I guess it is all a matter of personal preference, experience and equipment.

What's the worst that can happen? I'll make beer and be wiser for the process.

JD

Dude, why would you share this information without letting us know what works for what style?! I'm so curious, this would be great information to have!!!

If you are after hop aroma, and cube, I'd recommend the method first put up on the forum by Argon and which I "stood on its head" to give a similar effect:

Argon

Don't use aroma hops in the cube.
When the cube is cool enough, put it in the fermenting fridge and crank it right down to about 8 degrees
Take out about a litre of wort (or have a litre of excess wort that you have saved from the brew) into a stovetop pan and boil your aroma hops for the 10 mins, or do a "fake whirlpool" with them in the boiling wort or whatever your intention is.
Strain the hot wort into the fermenter followed by the cube of cold wort, which brings it all to pitching temperature.
Pitch

My "reverse" method

When the cube is cool enough, put it in the fermenting fridge and bring it to your desired pitching temperature
Take out about a litre of wort (etc.. same as above ....)

Cover the pan and rapidly cool to desired pitching temperature in an ice bath, cold water in sink etc.

Strain this wort into the fermenter plus the cube of cooled wort
Pitch

Works very well, I reckon it gives far better aroma than hop tea.

Have you ever been a 'chiller'? If so, how does using a large (let's say 90-100 grams or perhaps even more) addition of hops in to a small amount of wort compare with doing so in a much larger full sized batch or wort?

Dude, why would you share this information without letting us know what works for what style?! I'm so curious, this would be great information to have!!!

My notes need some organising before I can post what i've done and results. I've also just moved so finding them may be a challenge in all the boxes lying around. Give me a week or so and I'll put up what info i've got.

JD.

I am chilling my cube by placing in the swimming room near the discharge vent (for maximum circulation). I took a temp reading and it took 27 minutes to drop from 100 deg C to 80 deg C. So for 10 min late hop additions I am still screwed for aroma but I can still adjust the overall bittering additions by adding bittering hops at 35 mins rather than 60 min

I have yet to taste this brew so see how it go.

Until I get this issue resolved, my attempts at making Golden Ale will be a 'bitter' experience.

Keen to see the results of some solid scientific experiments from others (and hopefully avoid the wife tales)

5 Eyes

Back