CUB launches new Crown Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An easy drinking beer? maybe as opposed to VB that is a difficult drinking beer.

tried it today and im still looking for the galaxy in there.

barls said:
tried it today and im still looking for the galaxy in there.
from the sounds if this they have made another beer that they would consider to be market friendly and just what beer drinkers want, typical CUB.

I'd be suprised if its even an ale. Wouldnt so no to one, wouldnt buy another 6er either.

20140702_133846.jpg

So my bet is that it will be a faux ale with lager yeast. All dried out , thin mouthfeel and crisp finish with no aroma or hop flavour. A bit like cascade pale ale.

If im wrong ill happily try one and good on them.

I guess we know now why crown was bidding on that charity auction HPA were holding a few months back.

danestead said:
So my bet is that it will be a faux ale with lager yeast. All dried out , thin mouthfeel and crisp finish with no aroma or hop flavour. A bit like cascade pale ale.

I find Cascade pale "ale" to be a quite rich, smooth and malty drop with a subtle hop finish, a bready rather than a crisp finish. And still 5%

Bribie G said:
I find Cascade pale "ale" to be a quite rich, smooth and malty drop with a subtle hop finish, a bready rather than a crisp finish. And still 5%
I found it lacked the hop flavour I expect from a pale ale and was in general lacking any excitement. Label it as a different style and my opinion would likely b different. It just wasn't what I expect a pale ale to be and when I read that it was made with a lager yeast, it didn't surprise me.

danestead said:

It tastes like crown lager, well as i remember it anyway. Might just buy a bottle of crown and do a side by side.

I remember the days of Crownies, I'd drink them in nightclubs in the early nineties, that were the cool thing then.

Bribie G said:
I stand corrected bribie. I've found a copy of the aabc style guidelines which defines an Aussie pale ale. It sounds like it hits the mark on most accounts of what u and I have described. Highly attentuative, low aroma blah blah blah. Not my preferred style of pale ale but anyway it's still interesting to see what this 'golden' ale is like. I'm not aware there is a category for that though so it's hard to judge it based on a guideline hence leaving personal preference aside.

I reckon any attempt by the big brewers to improve variety and quality of their beers should be applauded.Back in the 70s I moved to Adelaide and had the choice of Southwark or Westend.Still traumatised.

Vini2ton said:
I reckon any attempt by the big brewers to improve variety and quality of their beers should be applauded.Back in the 70s I moved to Adelaide and had the choice of Southwark or Westend.Still traumatised.
Coopers was there. And still is.

indica86 said:
Coopers was there. And still is.
True,it's years ago.Beers state to state back then had marked differences.I probably spat out coopers and called it nanny goats piss because it tasted different to Melbourne Bitter or Abbots Lager.Parochial nuances.But really,southwaaaarrk.

I remember many years ago the local bottleshop got in a pallet of West End Export longnecks....it was going cheap..but it wasnt to bad...was better than VB...

Back