Crown Seals, I went cheap...problem?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanetoad23

Reaction score
Hi All,[SIZE=21.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=21.5pt][/SIZE]
I'm sitting here after drinking a few of my latest and although the taste is there, the bubbles are not. I had my last two batches (which I'm drinking now) that were ready to bottle but I didn’t have my usual caps that I get from the local home brew store. I grabbed the crown seals from the local Woolies but all the beers that I have bottled with them are flat. Gives me the impression that they did not seal especially well with the different caps....or it might be that I'm a rank armature and I just made a mess of the bottling.
[SIZE=21.5pt][/SIZE]
Anyone had the same problems...not that I am complaining too much. They taste good just no fizz.[SIZE=21.5pt][/SIZE]

I've used the woollies home brand caps before without issue.

There was someone that posted here about bottle caps that they bought that didn't have the plastic bit under the lid... bottle caps that were made for craft, not beer, that resulted in their beer going flat. Do your caps have the plastic film on the underside?

Kanetoad23 said:

I'm sitting here after drinking a few of my latest and although the taste is there, the bubbles are not.
How long ago did you bottle and what was your priming method?

thedragon said:
I've used the woollies home brand caps before without issue.
They're pretty much the only caps I use and have never had a batch leak.

JDW81 said:
How long ago did you bottle and what was your priming method?
Also is this your first winter since you started brewing? Even up in Queensland it must take longer to carb over winter, right? Sounds to me like patience will sort this out (assuming your priming went as planned, etc).

One batch I bottled 4 weeks ago (Begium Tripple), the other 3 (APA). I've had them in the freezer (set at 7degrees) since bottling.

I used two drops per 750ml and one per 300ml.

Kanetoad23 said:
I've had them in the freezer (set at 7degrees) since bottling.
Ale yeasts won't like this. Warm them up to a little above normal ale fermenting temps.

Ok, so what temp do I need to get the fridge up to?

And to continue the stupidity....is that why my Tripple has more fizz than the APA?

I've just started using the freezer so you are going to have to excuse my mistakes.....

Honestly, I'd have them out of the fridge freezer until they were carbed (unless is it quite hot where you live). I'd comfortably carb bottles at up to 25C without considering temp control (but would never consider primary at those temps (certain saisons excepted)).

But to answer your question more directly, I'd warm them up to about 20C-ish and wait for a couple weeks. Bottles may benefit from a very gentle swirl to rouse some yeast.

To clarify, carbonation with sugar in bottles is refermentation. The conditions required are similar to those required for the main fermentation.

Kanetoad23 said:
And to continue the stupidity....is that why my Tripple has more fizz than the APA?
Most likely. A week is a long time when it comes to carbonating in bottles.

There are other factors at play, but time is the biggest contributor.

thedragon said:
There was someone that posted here about bottle caps that they bought that didn't have the plastic bit under the lid... bottle caps that were made for craft, not beer, that resulted in their beer going flat. Do your caps have the plastic film on the underside?

Reporting in!

That was me. My girlfriend had a heap of them she used for craft projects. It was my first batch. :D

Hi

Just joined up retuning to home brewing a 20 year break - can't imagine how much Ive spent on shop bought stuff but my son got me back into it after sampling some of his excellent brews

Made the mistake of buying bulk caps from a brewing store (450 for $10). I was making a double batch and luckily only used about 15 of those caps after running out of the ones from big W
The bodgie caps were packed in different colours (black, white and I think gold) so I could tell which was which
the black caps felt flimsy and lighter (had plastic but seemed thinner) and just about every second one bent when capping so a high discard rate
Every black cap the beer was flat was flat while the gold ones from big W were fine
Took the caps back and the store owner suggested the brigalow capper was at fault. Thats bunkum, it was definitly the caps. It does not pay to skimp on essentials

Happy brewing

Back