Crown 40 Litre Water Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nala

Reaction score
I have a Crown 40 Ltr water urn, concealed element - on order - delivery next week.
In my anxiety to get some information into my brewing software, I looked at the specification of the boiler :

Diameter --- 34 cms

Height------ 58 cms

I put these numbers into the BIAB caculator to check that the volume is as stated (40 ltrs) the caculator tells me
the urn when full will hold 50 ltrs.

I am pleased with this information - if it is correct - so that I find that with additional headspace I can avoid boilovers !

Does anyone have any advice on how best to use the Crown boiler :

a) Marking off the volumes via the sight glass

B) Controlling a rolling boil via the thermostat

c) Keep the existing tap or change to ball valve

d) Using false bottom or not for BIAB

e) Lagging the outside with insullation

f) Using supplementary floating lid to cover 80% of the surface whilst boiling

g) Using a dip tube to avoid too much dead space at the bottom

any other usefull information that I have'nt mentioned.

Thanks in anticipation.

I have a Crown 40 Ltr water urn, concealed element - on order - delivery next week.
In my anxiety to get some information into my brewing software, I looked at the specification of the boiler :

Diameter --- 34 cms

Height------ 58 cms

I put these numbers into the BIAB caculator to check that the volume is as stated (40 ltrs) the caculator tells me
the urn when full will hold 50 ltrs.

I am pleased with this information - if it is correct - so that I find that with additional headspace I can avoid boilovers !

Does anyone have any advice on how best to use the Crown boiler :

Thanks in anticipation.

It is very hard to get a rolling boil on a 40L crown urn with a concealed element. You need to keep the lid half on and have the setting on max ..... I am not comfortable with this because it inhibits some of the volatiles from escaping

The height is the height of the urn I believe not the height of available space inside. The element and wiring underneath take up the extra space of course.

Cut up a cheap reject shop camping mat and attach it with some occy straps so you can take it off should you choose to chill in the urn. That certainly helps with keeping a good boil.

- Yes, do this. I used a 2L jug and added 2L at a time and market it off every 2L.

- Thermostat doesn't work that way. Just put it on 110 and you'll get a rolling boil.

- The existing tap is great. If you use the recommend silicone hose it slips right on and is secure enough.

- Up to you. I don't.

- This is recommended to help the mashing stage. May also help with the boil too. I used a cheap $5 rubber mat.

- Why would you want to? I get a vigerous boil without doing this.

- I just carefully tilt the boiler forward like you'd do with a normal fermenter if I want to get more wort out. Heaps easy to do.

- Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

It is very hard to get a rolling boil on a 40L crown urn with a concealed element. You need to keep the lid half on and have the setting on max ..... I am not comfortable with this because it inhibits some of the volatiles from escaping

I've never had this issue. I always boil with the lid fully off.

- Yes, do this. I used a 2L jug and added 2L at a time and market it off every 2L.

Just make sure to calibrate your jug with some scales first! The jugs that I have (pyrex) tend to have the markings as a 'rough guide' more than anything else.

Rob.

Yeah fair call, I wasn't that concerned though because I used the same jug to mark my fermenters, and I'm brewing with volume into fermenter in mind, so it works for me.

The sight glass on the Crown isn't that accurate, it's a bit thin and you have to flick air bubbles out of it if you want a really accurate reading. I'd only use it to be accurate to 250ml or so.

I also have the crown 40l concealed element urn and from new I had trouble getting a nice rolling boil even with insulation & lid half on. So I preformed the boil dry bypass mod which made it boil fantastically. However I blew it up after approx 6-8 brews and had to get it repaired :angry: I did a BIAB for the first time since the repair this weekend & the boil was great even without the mod. So I think its the luck of the draw if you get a good urn(thermal overload switch)?

yeah ... well I have it on 105 deg and barely get a rolling boil with half the lid on .... luck of draw I guess. I don't put it on 110 becuae I am worried that I will burn out the element

yeah ... well I have it on 105 deg and barely get a rolling boil with half the lid on .... luck of draw I guess. I don't put it on 110 becuae I am worried that I will burn out the element

Sorry but I find that a strange statement - The unit allows you to set to 110 & is fully warranted, so why run it not on full power & then complain it doesn't give you the performance you want :huh:

cheers Ross

Sorry but I find that a strange statement - The unit allows you to set to 110 & is fully warranted, so why run it not on full power & then complain it doesn't give you the performance you want :huh:

cheers Ross

I remember reading a thread I couple of weeks ago that someone burnt out their crown by running it long durations at 110 deg .... so you reckon it will be fine to run it fully cranked at 110 deg for 90 mins?

cheers
5 eyes

I remember reading a thread I couple of weeks ago that someone burnt out their crown by running it long durations at 110 deg .... so you reckon it will be fine to run it fully cranked at 110 deg for 90 mins?

cheers
5 eyes

Absolutely.... :)

cheers Ross

They hold 40L not a drop more or less. I have my sight tube marked at 33L which is perfect strike liquor for a 5 k grain bill for a one hour boil. If doing more, I up the level by a couple of litres per kilo - rule of thumb but gets me there.

biab1Medium.jpg

In any case I aim for this eventual boil level and that gives me a 23L cube plus a litre of end-wort to clear out for a starter. Edit please note that the curvature of the urn can exaggerate reflection of beer bellies :p

biab2Medium.jpg

I hadn't actually looked inside a concealed element model till last week and see that its identical to my exposed element except that the element is hidden under a little "cowl" and I can't see why that would fail to give a good boil as the heat has to come out anyway, and can only surmise that those people with poor boil have a unit with a perhaps too trippy thermostat. Mine goes like the clappers on 105 and I usually run it at 100.

I too have no problems keeping a rolling boil in a 40 litre Crown urn. To answer your questions
a. I bought a 600cm steel ruler, and because the urn has that bump in the middle, found that the first 6 litres measured 78cm, and every litre after that 11 cm.
b. Agree with Mark
c. Up to you, but once you get that silicone hose on it will be for life.
d. Why, you have a concealed element and it isn't going to burn your bag
e. Definitely, a camping mat is ideal.
f. No, you will get a vigorous boil but will not boil off all the water that you need to.
g. Whirpool.

I suggest that you do a good measure of the inside of your urn. Few if any are really round. My diameter is 33.7cm.

Bribie I didn't want to take my Ferrari out of first gear because I didn't want to over-tax the engine, anyway that's beside the point, why the f%# isn't my ferrari doing the advertised top speeds??????????????

Hi,

Just used a brand new crown 40L urn with an exposed element to do BIAB for the first time (previously 3V with gas fired kettle).
During the boil with the dial set to 110C (30L wort initially) the element was on all the time (I watched it like a hawk, so I know the boil dry didnt activate, and from my understanding it shouldnt with an exposed element), but it barely held a simmer, no where near a rolling boil.

3/4 covering with a lid gave a rolling boil, but only just. Nothing like a 3 ring cast iron burner can do.

Any ideas why some have vigourous boils with the lid completely off and the one I have gives only a whimper?

Maybe the supply to my house isnt as juiced as some?

Maybe I've got a 1500W element installed by mistake (like the 10L crown has)???

cheers.

Latest posts

Back