Crown 40 Litre Water Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I apologise for my statement:
"Maybe I've got a 1500W element installed by mistake (like the 10L crown has)???
"

Irresponsible of me to say that as there is nothing to indicate that is the case.

Hey guys

Got a bit of a problem here with my Urn. Did my first BIAB on Friday, all went well got a great rolling boil setting at 110. Actually boiled of more wort than I had intented. Doing another to day to pop in a cube for a later date. I can't get the thing to come to a boil at all. It's hitting about 92C then I can here it cut out. The light stays on but you can here the switch tripping and the heating stops. Have read plenty about the Mod you can perform but after no.1 thought I had myself a good one. What can I do now seeing as I have 30L of wort in there that I can't get to a boil at all?

Have just tried switching it all off for 10 minutes going out now to turn her back on and see what happens.

Cheers

Dave

Well I ended up draining the urn in batches and boiling it in pots on the stove. Royal pain in the arse, just kept cutting out before even getting near a boil. Cleaned it out and going to the mod on it tomorrow.

Has any one who has done the mod left the base off to try and keep the temp of the element down a little to stop it cooking itself? After the first AG on Friday I loved it, now I can't stand the thing.

My boil dry tripped out with a high gravity batch I did one day, so I did the mod. I know I should reconnect the switch... probably will before my next batch. Will be rather annoyed uf it trips on normal grav boils now!

I remember reading a thread I couple of weeks ago that someone burnt out their crown by running it long durations at 110 deg .... so you reckon it will be fine to run it fully cranked at 110 deg for 90 mins?

cheers
5 eyes

Follow every quote you read here and you will be in a sorry state. And.. under utilising your equipment.

If you can't get a rolling boil going for 90 minutes, it ain't worth having, so crank it up, make beer, or blow it up and move on, after claiming warranty.

Fear_n_Loath

Hey guys

Got a bit of a problem here with my Urn. Did my first BIAB on Friday, all went well got a great rolling boil setting at 110. Actually boiled of more wort than I had intented. Doing another to day to pop in a cube for a later date. I can't get the thing to come to a boil at all. It's hitting about 92C then I can here it cut out. The light stays on but you can here the switch tripping and the heating stops. Have read plenty about the Mod you can perform but after no.1 thought I had myself a good one. What can I do now seeing as I have 30L of wort in there that I can't get to a boil at all?

Have just tried switching it all off for 10 minutes going out now to turn her back on and see what happens.

Cheers

Dave

I have the same issue when the mash crud starts to bake onto the element(occasionally), a quick scrape with my brew spoon and it fires up again.
Not a huge issue, just a pain.

I have the same issue when the mash crud starts to bake onto the element(occasionally), a quick scrape with my brew spoon and it fires up again.
Not a huge issue, just a pain.

Hi Heavy-d,

I assume that your urn has the exposed element? Are you saying that when the crud gets stuck on it you need to scrape it off to keep the rolling boil going, and prevent the cut out of power to the element?

Thanks
Fear_n_Loath

I had a similar problem with my Birko and took it into the Agent in Brisbane. It worked fine for them (the bugger) but they suggested it could be the thermostat needing replacing so bring it in if it happens again. In your case I'd look at getting it fixed under warranty. Maybe you could try cranking the thermostat from zero to full on then zero etc a few times and see if that 'unsticks' whatever the problem is. I run my other one, the crown, at 110 and never move the dial, and it's going perfectly after a year and a bit.

A little while ago I had a woeful brew day with my exposed element crown when trying to do a stepped mash, didn't circulate the wort enough had massive caramelisation on the element. It came to the boil, I added my hops, then the boil died and it never came back up, thermostat (I assume) kept cutting it out... It was a school night and already about 11pm by this stage so I ended up draining the urn into a fermenter and sealing it up (think cubed) and filled urn with water to soak the shit off, then next day scrubbed the life out of it, put my 'cubed par boiled wort' back in and proceeded as normal... had to guess a bit as i had already done my first hop addition before the disaster. IBUs ended up OK, but the beer was shit, I think HSA was an issue perhaps transfering the beer in and out of the urn while ~95 degrees (i could of used the urn tap, but it had blocked with hop flowers!). worst brew day ever. I nearly threw the whole damn urn in the bin.

Hey guys

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Had a similar problem with my Crown Urn. What I found was that during the mash, particles settle on the element cover at the bottom of the urn. I found that if I give the area a bit of a scrape with my paint stirrer it goes without tripping.

Brew with urn problem only managed 1.9 litres/hour boil off due to element cutting in and out. Giving it a scrape now manage 3 - 3.4 litres/hour boil off and element does not cut out.

cheers

Ian

Thanks Guys

Forgot to mention it was a concealed element, the only place it was covered in crud was the slightly raised element cover. Am going to do a quick test boil this morning, then try again. Was a dark beer yesterday son not sure when I started to get the build up. Will give your trick a go Ian. Just hope I don't get stuck with an urn full of wort that I can't boil again. Am lucky that Crown is just up the road so I can run it back there and get them to test it if it is still no good today. My first BIAB is ticking over nicely in the fermenting fridge. Feel like I have the patience of my first few brews and can't wait to get it in the keg and see what it tastes like.

Thanks again, will report back with todays procedings, gotta love TAFE holidays

Dave

Hi Heavy-d,

I assume that your urn has the exposed element? Are you saying that when the crud gets stuck on it you need to scrape it off to keep the rolling boil going, and prevent the cut out of power to the element?

Thanks
Fear_n_Loath

I have a concealed element. I assume the dry boil protection kicks in and turns off the element when there is crud baked onto the element cover.
As Ian H says a quick scrape and it doesnt cut out.
Cheers.

Spoke to Ross at CB

He said exactly the same thing, checked my element cover out before I called him and indeed it was the only place with baked on crud. Gave it a good clean did a test boil and no probs so far. About to do another beer right now so fingers crossed it stays clear enough, if not will try the scrap technique

Dave

I have a concealed element crown and had problems with cutting out too. After removing cut out switch burnt out element. Last boil petered out at 80 minutes ( new element with cut out rewired). Quich rub with mixing spoon and fired up again. Would not advise to remove cut out switch as would probably burnt out 2nd element.

cheers
sean

a. I bought a 600cm steel ruler, and because the urn has that bump in the middle, found that the first 6 litres measured 78cm, and every litre after that 11 cm.
Man, your 40L urn must be a little bigger than mine :blink:

:p

Man, your 40L urn must be a little bigger than mine :blink:

Details below pasted from an AHB member who was performing (and posting) calculations for individuals who supplied their kettle measurements.

TANK CALIBRATION CHART
40 L Crown Urn
340Dia x 480 High
AHB
Vertical tank with flat bottom
Diameter = 340.0 mm Height = 480.0 mm Total Tank Capacity = 44 litres
Depth Capacity Depth Capacity Depth Capacity
(litres)
(litres)
(litres)
(mm) (mm)
(mm)
Depth
(mm) (litres)
Capacity
1 6 2 17 3 28 4 39 5 50 6 61 7 72 8 83 9 94
10 105 11 116 12 127 13 138 14 149 15 160 16 171 17 182 18 193
19 204 20 215 21 226 22 237 23 248 24 259 25 270 26 281 27 292
28 303 29 314 30 325 31 336 32 347 33 358 34 369 35 380 36 392
37 403 38 414 39 425 40 436 41 447 42 458 43 469 44 480

e.g. 10 105 = 10L @ 105mm

Details below pasted from an AHB member who was performing (and posting) calculations for individuals who supplied their kettle measurements.
e.g. 10 105 = 10L @ 105mm

Sorry, you missed my little attack at using cm instead of mm

:)

Spoke to Ross at CB

He said exactly the same thing, checked my element cover out before I called him and indeed it was the only place with baked on crud. Gave it a good clean did a test boil and no probs so far. About to do another beer right now so fingers crossed it stays clear enough, if not will try the scrap technique

Dave

Hope the new beer goes well

I have a crown urn with a concealed element, i had no problems with rolling boil or it cutting out (i thought it could of been more vigorous ) but i have done the mod anyway, i have seen an improvement with the boil and have had no issues. i did the mod probally 2 years ago and to many brews to remember, knock on wood.

I bought a crown urn with a concealed element last week. I did my first BIAB batch in it on Tuesday and it worked great - very vigorous boil - i had do turn it down to 105 to stop it splashing.

So today I decided to do another batch and I'm having problems getting rolling boil - I have it set to 110 but it seems to cut out at around 98c, barely boiling.

Does anyone know if there is a way to recalibrate the thermostat? I'd rather avoid doing the mod if I can.

Cheers

Mat

Latest posts

Back