Crown 40 Litre Water Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clean any crap off the element. A bit of PBW or napisan and let it boil for a few minutes, then scrape off.

The top of the concealed element cleans up really easy with a scourer type pad. Not brillo, those cheap green things from chickenfeed or similar.

Remember to lift of the thermostat sensor cover and clean it. It can harbour all sorts of crud. No problems with mine, a really good rolling boil. Just not sure on the calcs for measuring the water volume. My Urn is 337mm in dia - average.

clean any crap off the element. A bit of PBW or napisan and let it boil for a few minutes, then scrape off.

Thanks Guys,

I had cleaned it thoroughly after I used it last, but there must have been some crap stuck to the element after the mash.

I gave it another decent scape with my paddle and that seems to have got her going again.

I didn't know you could take the thermostat cover off - I'll make sure I get in the habit of cleaning it.

Cheers

Mat

Just note that there are two thermostats -- the long rod thingy under the cover, and the boil dry protector which is on the underside of the element. Everything has to be clean or one of them will stop the element.

My super tip for cleaning the concealed element - vinegar. I only use mine for a HLT so the calcium builds up. No amount of napisan was getting it off so I spashed about 500ML of vinegar and 500ML of water in the bottom with a chux.

Keep the chux super wet with the solution over the element. Every 30 min or whenever you think of it go back to your urn and give it a gentle wipe - starts coming off really easy and super shiny again :)

Cool thanks. How do you guys keep it clean during a boil? Just scrape it with a paddle?

Out of interest how/when do you guys whirlpool? Do you stir from the edge or the center of the urn? How long etc?

I tried stirring like crazy after end of the boil and then left it for 10mins - but it seemed to have no effect.

I'm not sure I made a whirlpool though - there was a definite cone in the center of the urn though.

Hi all,
My crown urn died a horrible death about 12 mths ago, due to the boil modification.
Being out of warranty, I was stoked that a replacement element and installation instructions were avaialble for around $65 all up.
Thumbs up to crown, now I am back doing 20L batches, (have a 4 ring burner and 120L pot sitting idle at the moment!)
Cheers
DK

Most acids work. A good one is a tub of Mckenzies citric acid from the icing sugars and baking powder shelves, a third of a tub in 250ml of hot water, scrub with a scotch brite, works a treat. Has the advantage that it doesn't leave a vinegary after taste.

Would anyone be as game as to try say CLR on it??

get some lemon's,quarter them put some water in the urn and boil for awhile.or use Citric Acid as per Bribies post

Would anyone be as game as to try say CLR on it??

I used CLR on a shitty old urn a few years ago and it took me hours to wash out the remnants. I'd stick to something less toxic.

Slight hijack... :)

Picked up a couple of Birko urns last week, exposed elements, each with their pros & cons...

Pretty crudded up, so been soaking and cleaning with vinegar to clear the crud from the bottom.

As the gunk has come away, I've noticed this on the element of one - is this a coating coming away?

photo.JPG

Should this be a concern? Planning to use the urn for BIAB - the element on the other urn seems fine.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers in advance!

Kev

Latest posts

Back