Crash Chilling Hefeweizen/witbiers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renzo

Reaction score
Is there any need to crash chill a hefe or wit (after fermentation is done) apart from getting them cold for better gas solubilty when kegging?

I crash chill my hefe's for 24 hours to allow any larger yeast particles along with hop debris to settle out prior to kegging or bottling. The yeast you have used (if to style) should be a very low flocculent strain which will result in a cloudy beer regardless of the crash chill. There will be some settling and clearing in the keg over time anyway due to the cool serving temps dropping out more particles, if I notice the hefe is becomming a little too Krystal (filtered hefe) like, I just agitate the keg a little, just like rolling a bottle to resuspend all the goodness, but on a larger scale.

Cheers

I crash chill my hefe's for 24 hours to allow any larger yeast particles along with hop debris to settle out prior to kegging or bottling. The yeast you have used (if to style) should be a very low flocculent strain which will result in a cloudy beer regardless of the crash chill. There will be some settling and clearing in the keg over time anyway due to the cool serving temps dropping out more particles, if I notice the hefe is becomming a little too Krystal (filtered hefe) like, I just agitate the keg a little, just like rolling a bottle to resuspend all the goodness, but on a larger scale.

Cheers

Cheers. All makes sense.

Latest posts

Back