Crap loads of acetylaldehyde in red ale with WLP004

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozz

Reaction score
I'm making a red Ale using WLP004. First go with a liquid yeast.
Made a big healthy starter and according to calcs should have pitched around 0.75 million cells per oPlato.
You can see pic below. No chill wort 60L and the starters.

Starters made on DME & yeast nutrient.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464483508.553419.jpg

I gave the wort a good shake and mix with the Barmix to aerate and pitched the decanted yeast at 18C.
Wort has good Ca levels and yeast nutrient.

After 24 hours it was raging and I had to fit a blow off. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464483964.040034.jpg

At 4 days it's at 1020 and I had a taste. Holy crapola. The acetylaldehyde blows your head off.
Is this normal and will the yeast be able to clean up so much? I can't remember tasting so much before.
I know I can just wait and see but I'm too impatient.

Firstly time is your friend. Acetaldehyde is a natural part of fermentation and in a normal, healthy ferment, should be turned to ethanol.
Secondly, if it persists, another healthy active starter/krausening can help reduce/remove.

Thirdly - how sure are you it's acetaldehyde? Green apple, pumpkin skin and synthetic paint emulsion are how I experience it. Pumpkin and paint are quite specific but green apple can easily be confused with red apple caused by an ester (ethyl hexoanate). In my experience, a couple of yeasts are prone to high production in early stages but its presence diminishes/integrates with some conditioning and yeast settling time.

So yeah - patience. My cake hasn't cooked.
Well leave it in the oven longer.

Just assuming it's acetylaldehyde. Got a second opinion (had to force my wife to taste it for me). Not a fan of green beer for some reason.
Definitely apple (possibly red) and even some nashi pear but no pumpkin or paint. It's just so strong you can't taste anything else over it.

No anise/aniseed.

Just querying the amount.
I've been using US05 and this WLP004 is just behaving completely different.
Hopefully my yeast is healthy enough to clean it all up. Seems a big job.

Sounds interesting Dr Smurto. I know I'm a long way from needing to do something like this. Just interested in the chemistry.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1466319995.104532.jpg

So beer kegged and gassed. It is truly bizarre.
No head what so ever and tastes more like sasaparilla than beer. No gross off infected flavours and crashed beer and yeast cake looked good to me.

Where did it go wrong?

Possibly still an infection. I've never had spider webs and huge bubbles before but I've definitely had 'infections', as the beers developed very unusual flavours that worsened over time. You may have something foreign in there as well.

Grrrr.. Actually you could get used to the taste. Only 60 L to go.

What smurto suggested can be achieved with a campden tablet. You don't have to break into your neighbours meth lab to use their equipment or anything its pretty easy.

Oh and don't try to use a garlic crusher to crush the tablet. It busted the arse out of mine and made the missus rather cranky.

100% agree with the above - in terms of aging the beer - but I'll throw high temperature in there too. Sure it didn't get a few degrees too warm for a stretch? I've even had it in beers that had no trace, then it came up in bottle conditioning due to high temperature storage (28-35C). So the amount that is produced goes up with temperature - that is, more than what is always produced anyway.

I'll give it a go. Will have to wait a few weeks while I'm away. It will be interesting to see what difference it makes. I'm sure Reinheitsgebot was barley malt, hops, water and campden tablets or something like that.

Just reading your post Adr_0. Pitched at 18 and had the temp probe fixed to the side of the fermenter. At 1020 I bumped the temp up to 24 C but it already had heaps of what I put down to acetaldehyde?? I'll leave it another few weeks and taste again then give the campden a shot on one of the kegs to see the difference.
Just disappointing because I hit the numbers spot on through the mash etc, took great care with the water chem and through stepping up the yeast. However something didn't go right.

Red apple (ethyl hex) is and indicator of a raced ferment, but stopping at 20 is an unhealthy ferment low in oxygen. Google and you will find enough references to the causes

It didn't stop at 1020. That's just when I bumped up the temp (aka Brulosophy method). It finished at 1014 as expected.
The ferment definitely raced along- it went nuts.
Could it be that even with the probe on the side of the fermenter the internal temp of the brew got too high?
(Even taped on with insulation it mostly reads the fridge air temp)
A red apple taste is probably more accurate than green.
If so what to do next time. Go lower than 18C to slow it up a bit?
Also what's the opinion on gassing with oxygen. Will that limit ethyl hex type production?
Cheers

Check the SG now, see if it's still 1.014. If it's dropped a bit then you can pretty much confirm a foreign nasty has ruined your day. I think if you fermented at 18°C there should be no need to drop the temp further. If it was >25 then yeah, but 18 works for everyone else and taping the probe on the side makes minimal difference.
Has a fellow brewer had a sample?

Latest posts

Back