Craft Breweries & Pubs Around Adelaide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd also recommend the Earl of Leicester at Parkside. Big range of beers and their schnitzels are the biggest in SA.

J.T said:
Reviving an old thread in the search for some good craft beer pubs or bars in and around the CBD.

Is there anything that has popped up lately? Heading down with Mrs JT next weekend.
The King's Head hotel on king william is still my pick of craft beer venue in town. they do SA brews on tap exclusively and this includes micros like beard and brau, bierhaus, brew boys, vale ale, gulf brewery. Great happy hour on friday with $5 pints on most of the micros (if a non-special batch) from 5-9pm

Up the road on o'connell street is the Curious Squire, a james squire taphouse. Most of the squire beers are on tap along with a few rotating, guest brewery taps. Nice food to boot

Heading down to adelaide on thurs, wheres the best bottlo for craft beer? will be staying at Lockleys. Does dans and first choice have a decent range? Keen for some lobethal

I have to visit all the good places too, went into the thirsty camel on Anzac hwy and was go smacked by the variety of craft and imported beer in stock. Beers I'd never heard of and then more. Also shocked by their prices. 10-15 bucks for a half litre bottle was sort of normal on the range except I know plonk in Canberra stock them for considerably less. CONSIDERABLY. Still, spotted a few locals and some trumers so the visit wasn't a complete waste.

I'm heading to rAdelaide next week for a week and have been researching this thread and this one.
I'll be based in the CBD and won't have wheels so it looks to me like my best bets (beer and a feed) are:

- The Wheaty (outside the CBD I know but given the reviews I'll make the effort)
- The Kings Head
- The Botanic Bar
- Bar on Gouger
- The Belgian Beer Cafe (maybe)

Any comments on the Edinburgh Castle Hotel on Currie St?
It has the advantage of being close to where I'm staying!

Cheers.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
I'm heading to rAdelaide next week for a week and have been researching this thread and this one.
I'll be based in the CBD and won't have wheels so it looks to me like my best bets (beer and a feed) are:

- The Wheaty (outside the CBD I know but given the reviews I'll make the effort)
- The Kings Head
- The Botanic Bar
- Bar on Gouger
- The Belgian Beer Cafe (maybe)

Any comments on the Edinburgh Castle Hotel on Currie St?
It has the advantage of being close to where I'm staying!

Cheers.
All good choices Ken but definitely head to the Wheaty, you won't regret it. Jump on the tram on King William and get off at Thebarton and you can walk the rest, it's not far at all.

If you head to the East End then drop past the Austral and treat yourself to a Mismatch Brewing Session Ale. My favourite beer at the moment.

Pirate Life Brewing are just releasing their first beers this weekend so they should become available at pubs around the CBD although not sure which ones as yet.

I can't comment on the Ed, I haven't been there for a long time. And Gouger St is the place to eat. A good choice of Asian (you have to try Ying Chow) and the Central Markets.

Scottsrx said:
All good choices Ken but definitely head to the Wheaty, you won't regret it. Jump on the tram on King William and get off at Thebarton and you can walk the rest, it's not far at all.

If you head to the East End then drop past the Austral and treat yourself to a Mismatch Brewing Session Ale. My favourite beer at the moment.

Pirate Life Brewing are just releasing their first beers this weekend so they should become available at pubs around the CBD although not sure which ones as yet.

I can't comment on the Ed, I haven't been there for a long time. And Gouger St is the place to eat. A good choice of Asian (you have to try Ying Chow) and the Central Markets.
Thanks for the suggestion of the Austral Scott, looks like a nice place. Thanks also for the tram suggestion, almost door-to-door from my accom to the Wheaty.

Cheers.

If you can get someone to take you down to Hahndorf (or hop on a bus) then check out Prancing Pony brewery. Magnificent.

Killer Brew said:
If you can get someone to take you down to Hahndorf (or hop on a bus) then check out Prancing Pony brewery. Magnificent.
The Prancing Pony is at Mt Barker so a little difficult to get to without a car. Unless you are keen for a bus ride, it takes a bit more than a half hour.

Hahndorf has Gulf Brewery on the main st, which is really just a small bar where you can drink his beers. I've never tried them but recently found that my wife works with his sister so need to try and meet him one day.

I'm there for work so won't really have the time to get to Mt Barker etc.
The furthest I'll get from the CBD is a half day trip to Edinburgh...if I play my cards right I can time that perfectly to coincide with a Coopers tour on the return leg.

Other than that it's pubs for dinner (and possibly some lunches).

My pubs of choice in the CBD would be the following, not in any particular order...

Earl Of Leicester - Big parmys and Mismatch on Tap but slightly out of the CBD
Coopers Ale House - Big Parmys and a good range of beers
Ying Chow - Lineups out the door but totally worth it
Jack Ruby - Expensive but delicious and they should be selling Pirate Life cans or on tap as of tonight
Austral - The Austral burger is fantastic and its a great place to sit outside and watch the talent walk down Rundle St. Also happnes to have Mismatch Session Ale on tap (Yes, I love the stuff)

And if you're out Edinburgh way then see if you can drop by the Mawson Lakes Tavern for one of the biggest Parmys you'll ever see. It's huge and the Meat Lovers topping is another meal on top.

That's a lot of big parmys...they might make me book an extra seat on the plane!

Then if you want to partake of some fine beers rather than a BIG parmy then you could get a taxi for a few bucks and go HERE

dicko said:
Then if you want to partake of some fine beers rather than a BIG parmy then you could get a taxi for a few bucks and go HERE
Thanks Dicko, it's on my must-do list, tram to Thebarton is sorted.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
Thanks Dicko, it's on my must-do list, tram to Thebarton is sorted.
:chug: :chug: :lol:

Pirate brewing isn't too much further along ( on South road) from the Wheaty.
I think they opened for business very recently,you could be the first to sample it and report here.

spog said:
Pirate brewing isn't too much further along ( on South road) from the Wheaty.
I think they opened for business very recently,you could be the first to sample it and report here.
I don't think you can sample the goods at the brewery at Pirate Life as yet. But I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you dropped past and said hi.

You can sample at the Gilbert St Hotel in the CBD. Not sure of others as yet. Or grab the tram down to goodwood road and walk to Goodwood cellars (although they sold out almost immediately on Friday night)

Selling out so quickly at Goodwood cellars, wow must have a lot of people waiting for it to hit the shelves.
Have you heard any comments ?
I drive past on my way to the mother inlaws,been waiting for it to open.

My brother dropped past there on Friday night and there was nothing on the shelf. They had a little bit out the back but basically all gone. Nothing but praise for the APA which was all he could get.

I'm going to try them later in the week to see if they've got anymore.

Latest posts

Back