Craft Breweries & Pubs Around Adelaide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also FWIW, you're going to LOVE the Wheaty. At least I do. Not only do they have a fantastic, huge beer list, but friendly, knowledgable enthusiastic staff to go along with it. And the atmosphere is excellent. Businessmen mix with hippies mix with tradies mix with whoever else with ease. Everyone is just there for good beer and company.

Up there with the best pubs in Australia IMO.

The Oyster Bar and also Zucca (greek) which are both at Glenelg are awesome....

I've eaten at Zucca, great food, pretty exxy though. Most expensive bottle of water I've ever purchased I think! Service could have been better too.

Good timing I'll be at a conference in Radelaide in the first week of December. Staying at the Meridien hotel on Melbourne st North Adelaide. Looks like a 12 min cab ride to The Wheatsheaf.... But is there anything good / worth checking out around my hotel?

Most of the Nth Adelaide restaurants are on O'Connel St, which isnt far, but not exactly walking distance. The Lion is a good option for food and perhaps a drink, though dont get your hopes up beer-wise. The restaurant is actually pretty good food as is the front bar.

If you were to go to The Wheaty you could go home via Park Tce/Prospect Rd and drop into Shankers, which is a pretty good Indian place that have a pretty good range of craft beer.

Not sure if Melbourne St Cellars are doing much in the way of craft beer, but they have awesome wine.

Some restaurants on O'Connel st worth a look would be

Red Ochre
Regent Thai
Blanc Bistro

Just noticed I made a mistake in my original list of CBD restaurants......if you are in the mood for Thai, skip Star of Siam and go to Nu Thai. Star of Siam is reasonable and gets a good crowd but Nu Thai is a bit more authentic.

Just noticed I made a mistake in my original list of CBD restaurants......if you are in the mood for Thai, skip Star of Siam and go to Nu Thai. Star of Siam is reasonable and gets a good crowd but Nu Thai is a bit more authentic.

Thanks again Gravey for all the info!

As in that deli/cafe across the road? You order it there then they ring when its ready...........

I do not recommend that particular place. Have bought from them in the past. Over priced sloppy pizza IMHO :icon_vomit: . I think Jade at the wheatie has some other recommendations.

BYB

Last time i was at the Lion (about a month ago) they had Feral Hop Hog on tap, along with Drs orders, LCBA, and a few others which i was pretty impressed by... (memory slightly foggy after 6 feral pints lol)

Yeah. Hop hog on tap at the lion. Also a good selection of crafties. But forget all that and eat the pulled pork bun with chipotle mayo, I am having a love affair with that sandwich. Amazing.

The Wheaty is definitely Adelaide's best beer pub IMHO.

Adelaide is a pretty good bike riding city, so if you've got a spare day check out the free bike loans from the city council

http://www.bikesa.asn.au/AdelaideCityBikes

wheaty is a very comfy ride from North Adelaide.

in my opinion O'Connel st is definitely walking distance from your hotel, but for my money O'Connel is a little 'swanky'.

i thnk the must visits would be Wheaty and Lobethal Bierhaus (get someone else to drive!)

enjoy

I'm always up for a trip to the Lobethal Bierhaus. Just spoke to Al last night at the Wheaty for Mountain Goat's birthday bash, we were talking about the Wheaty crew brewing a beer at his brewery called 'Ryewaka' earlier this week. Apparently one of Jade's (Wheaty owner) old homebrew recipes.

Yep, they've been looking to brew that, using that name for years.

Pretty sure if they didn't, 8 Wired was looking to use it according to their twitter feed! Should be a good drop!

Good timing I'll be at a conference in Radelaide in the first week of December. Staying at the Meridien hotel on Melbourne st North Adelaide. Looks like a 12 min cab ride to The Wheatsheaf.... But is there anything good / worth checking out around my hotel?

Just up Melbourne Street towards the city, on the same side of the Street as the Meridian is Melbourne Street Fine Wine Cellars. They have a pretty good selection of beers to take back to your hotel room.
Lots of places to eat on Melbourne Street.

Matsuri - Japanese, looks dingy from the outside but is awesome and relatively cheap. I think its the best in town (they actually have some decent Japanese craft beer as well)
British India - a british take on Indian...technically on Morphett St - pretty good but not the best Indian in town

For the best Japanese in town you need to go to Yakitori Takumi :)
And for good Indian - Shankers on Prospect Rd, not too far out of the city.

Both have awesome food and good craft beer selection.

I'd say the Kings Head is worth a visit. Always good stock of local SA beers on tap and in the bottle. Meals are also pretty good and they have $10 nights.

Gilbert Hotels is also worth a visit, limited but reasonable selection of beers, and good food.

For restaurants Bistro Dom. Very quaint small place, good French inspired food, and excellent cheese selection.

Panacea is another small place with good quality simple food. They serve char grilled Tommy Ruff, which are not really considered restraunt fish, but the owner knows a fisherman who provides them fresh everyday. It's this emphasis on freshness and local where possible that means their food is simple but excellent flavours. They also have a good selection of wine by the glass.

In the Hills you could try Locovore for a meal. They are based on the 100 mile diet.

Thanks guy's! I'll have to check-in around that time to see if anyone's up for a beer after work. :)

do it, I'm always keen for a beer after work ;) Not that I'm on here a whole lot, but send me a PM when you're in town

If you can get up to the Lobethal Bierhaus its worth the trip. Al is a top bloke and always up for a chat about anything beer. He even offered a keg of my favourite (Goodbier) for my wedding reception when I wasn't happy with the venues selection of Carlton Draught or VB.

The Buffalo Wings from the all day menu are a favourite, nuke the tastebuds but they're worth it.

He's usually happy to take you for a walk around the brewery if you ask nicely too.

Reviving an old thread in the search for some good craft beer pubs or bars in and around the CBD.

Is there anything that has popped up lately? Heading down with Mrs JT next weekend.

Latest posts

Back