Craft Beers changing pub culture.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick JD said:
I saw a big, scary-looking guy, head to toe in tattoos get out of a car yesterday (while I was being ultra-manly and walking a baby in a pram) holding a sixpack of Corona.

Giggled a little bit, but I think he thought I was laughing at the drively scribbles all over his skin not his girly beer. Which was kinda true.

Got home and poured myself a IPA. Who's tough now, bitches. :huh:
Ha ha. This is so good.

Bribie G said:
There's an interesting pub drinking culture in Taree, the Centrelink office is right next door to a pub so if there's a massive queue you get SWMBO to hold the place while you duck next door for a couple of swift VBs. Excellent setup.
is the royal still the aboriginal pub in town or have they been kicked out again?

Been kicked out I guess, it's actually quite classy in there now compared to The Exchange and Fotheringhams. There were a couple of Bro's in the Exchange so I guess that's the watering hole for ye Indigenous in the area now.
My stepdaughter has connections with Purfleet (she used to be in the Government Aboriginal Industry :ph34r: ) about 10 mins drive from where I live. Maybe I should get some equipment freely available at the LHBS which is called "Copperhead Road Home Brew Supplies", go figure as the yanks say :D , meet a few elders and make some REAL money :p

bum said:
I completely dispute the claim that pub "culture" is changing.

I was in a city venue on Friday evening (a venue that generally has decent beers on and cycles their range fairly frequently).

Dude walks in. "What is [insert beer name]'?". Barkeep says "It's a double IPA". Dude says "Double, triple - I don't care. Whatever. Gimme one of them."

People are still ignorant as shit and are buying an image not an experience.
I don't think there's any doubt that the public is still largely ignorant, but I also think there's no doubt that the number of people interested in good, craft beer are growing... no doubt.

Take a look at the amount of micro's that have been springing up over the past 10-years. Take a look at what bottle shops have on their shelves, compared to what they did just 5-years ago. Take a look at the amount of bars and pubs completely devoted to craft beer - that weren't even around 5-10 years ago.

It's changing, and has been for some time...

I don't know if you know what the word "culture" means but a cycle of small, failing micros is not it.

Problem is that when a micro gets a bit too big and starts to become a threat in the market it gets snaffled by one of the big 2. First happened with Powers and Eumundi breweries in QLD in the 80s so it's not new.

Yeah, I am hoping that that doesn't happen to Mountain Goat. It's becoming popular enough that they have now started using screw top bottles (for those with no bottle opener) and you can find it everywhere.

I have now shifted my drinking habits from Mountain Goat Brewery to Mornington Peninsula Brewery, though I really love the rare-breeds that MGB make so still make a trip there now and then.

If only they'd got that lovely young lady to drink her Matilda Bay craft beer out of a glass. Think of the knock-on effect...

Edak said:
Yeah, I am hoping that that doesn't happen to Mountain Goat. It's becoming popular enough that they have now started using screw top bottles (for those with no bottle opener) and you can find it everywhere.

I have now shifted my drinking habits from Mountain Goat Brewery to Mornington Peninsula Brewery, though I really love the rare-breeds that MGB make so still make a trip there now and then.
So you all but stopped drinking a brewery's beer because it became popular?

Onya Greg

good guy greg.jpg

It use to be about the beer music, man.

Righteous.

destroyercover.jpg

Ermm....

kiss.jpg

Oh..now I get it..

Kiss_Beer.JPG

Their decent into tawdriness and mediocrity reminds me of malt shovel beers.

Dave70 said:
It use to be about the beer music, man.

Righteous.

destroyercover.jpg

Ermm....

kiss.jpg

Oh..now I get it..

Kiss_Beer.JPG

Their decent into tawdriness and mediocrity reminds me of malt shovel beers.
Meh, I'm more of a Lenningrad Cowboys Beer drinker myself.

Back