Craft Beer With Nelson Sauvin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzla

Reaction score
Hi I want to try to brew with Nelson Sauvin hops. From what I understand you can overdo the hops and they are not to eveyones liking. So before I do brew and find out I dont like the hop flavour I want to try a craft or commercial brew dominated by Nelson Sauvin. Any suggestions ? I'm in WA.

Tom

Hi I want to try to brew with Nelson Sauvin hops. From what I understand you can overdo the hops and they are not to eveyones liking. So before I do brew and find out I dont like the hop flavour I want to try a craft or commercial brew dominated by Nelson Sauvin. Any suggestions ? I'm in WA.

Tom

Check out Knappstein

QldKev

Knappstein Lager, Brewdog Nelson Sauvin IPA, Kooinda Full Nelson Black IPA, Red Angus Pilsener, Emersons Pils (maybe some other hops too).... Should be able to find one of those!

Yep, try Knappstein as its all NS and only Pilsner malt (so the rumour goes). So it will give you a good NS flavour without too much complexity.

I had a bad brew with NS once, mixed it with other hops. Didn't taste too good. I went off it for a while until I tried Knappstein. Now I've made two Knappstein clones, one of which was kegged and then emptied at a party. Love it now!!!

Mikkeller did an NS IPA too.

Knappstein is the most accessible option, or drink an S&W Pacific Ale and a random sauv blanc wine together.

For commercial, Macs Hoprocker if you can get it out west....

Thanks all I'm off to find a Knapstein, will also look out for Jbows others though I can't recall seeing them here (yet)

Cheers

I was keen to try this hop a little while back and ended up using around 20grams in a brew.....it really stuffed what was to be a decent brew.

Not to be wasteful I planned on using small doses in future brews. Only around 5 grams went into another and somehow it managed to dominate over a decent amount of my amarillo. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the bag....would probably work well as snail bait.

Or forget using it late and use it as a bittering hop.... Smooth bitterness and high alpha.

Kooinda's black IPA is full nelson I think? I also tried a Mikkeller burger and bun LA lager (pretty sure its nelson) if you want something a little less than an IPA

Neither were overdone by any means, two great beers.

Internationalbeershop is where u want to go! in wembley. Thats where I got the Kooinda from. Knappstein you can get from dan's.

Depending where you are Mane Liquor in Ascot had the BrewDog NS IPA which is quite tasty. Grab the Citra while your at it aswell!

Knapstein is good example.

I just finished brewing a all nelson sauvin ale for summer.
It is great hop when single hoped for a summer ale.

I have a kilo of NS coming and was interested in this same question.

I tried a Kooinda Black IPA the other day and just loved it. I'd be keen to brew one like it if someone could link me to a copycat recipe?

Reading the label and blurb on the website goes into exactly no details about the hops used except to say it's 70 ibu.

http://www.kooinda.com.au/the-beer/black-ipa/

It's not called Full Nelson, is it the same beer you guys are talking about?

it doesn't take much NS to give flavour. I remember my first american IPA and how hoppy it was (or how hoppy I remember it at the time). I came across the recipe for it a couple days ago and thought "wow, not much hops for an IPA" but it was plenty hoppy from memory. I used chinook and nelson and found that they didn't go all that well together, but it could have been something else with the recipe or just my undeveloped taste buds as I wasn't all that into it at the time

Back