Craft Beer With Nelson Sauvin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed with Nelson lots and it does go with:

Galaxy
Citra (the best it goes with)
Cascade
Smaragd (if the Mrs is anything to go by)

Ideally I like Nelson at 10-15 minutes, but in conjunction with another hop to balance out.

Pretty average for a bittering hop, though I do find that at 60 minutes (or with no-chill), it can get a bit astringent, I generally use it for flavouring in an APA.

Goomba

I have a kilo of NS coming and was interested in this same question.

I tried a Kooinda Black IPA the other day and just loved it. I'd be keen to brew one like it if someone could link me to a copycat recipe?

Reading the label and blurb on the website goes into exactly no details about the hops used except to say it's 70 ibu.

http://www.kooinda.com.au/the-beer/black-ipa/

It's not called Full Nelson, is it the same beer you guys are talking about?

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

+1 on doing Ross' NS Summer Ale. A great recipe. NS Summer Ale

Nelson Sauvin is a really interesting hop I find. Seems to start off quite wine-like (some say 'cats pee' but I don't get that), then if you allow some cellar time it comes up really fruity - love it. One of the best beers I made was to Ross' recipe and cellared 8 months and had NS straight through at around 28 IBU (a bit lower than the one on DB). A fantastic drinker. Not as hoppy as his but enough for some yummy flavour.

I think you'll find that Matilda Bay's Fat Yak uses Nelson Sauvin late hopped and US Cascade for flavour too. Doing a NS/Cascade combo is well worth a try if you enjoy the flavour in that beer.

Hopper.

I tried a Kooinda Black IPA the other day and just loved it. I'd be keen to brew one like it if someone could link me to a copycat recipe?

Reading the label and blurb on the website goes into exactly no details about the hops used except to say it's 70 ibu.

I meant it was nelson only for the hops or at least mostly. I swear I read somewhere that it only uses ns hops. Really nice beer anyway !

Also keen for a recipe if someone knows one

I find NS is good when it's matched up with a lot of yeast esters and ends up more stone fruit punch tasting.

With clean yeast (US05 at 18C) there's nothing but NS, and it can be a bit catpissy.

In the end of the day I don't really want my beer to taste like sav blanc though, so I went off it.

I find NS is good when it's matched up with a lot of yeast esters and ends up more stone fruit punch tasting.

With clean yeast (US05 at 18C) there's nothing but NS, and it can be a bit catpissy.

In the end of the day I don't really want my beer to taste like sav blanc though, so I went off it.

I agree Nick. I have done the same NS summer ale with;
1007 German Ale = winey yet clean and sessionable
1332 Northwest Ale = fruity and pleasant leaving good malt presence
2247PC Euro Lager = harsh and overly bitter thinning it out too much

With 1332 being my preference. Will never ever do the lager again.

Brewed with Nelson lots:

Pretty average for a bittering hop, though I do find that at 60 minutes (or with no-chill), it can get a bit astringent, I generally use it for flavouring in an APA.

Goomba
Hey LRG,

I know you use Nelson a lot, way more than I have, and you have often expressed this sentiment, but it is actually my favourite bittering hop for big American-styled beers. I find both FWH and 60 min additions to provide a firm, lingering bitterness. It may well be a bit astringent if doing the bulk of your bittering with it, but I tend to about %40 - %60 of my bittering early (the rest very late) and I find Nelson to be a great, relatively low cohumulone hop for the job. I personally think it is an excellent bittering hop for high gravity (<1.060) APA/AIPA/IAPA type beers.

Still, maybe that's just my subjective and entirely untrained palate (and a function of the types of recipes I use it in perhaps - I use a lot more crystal and victory in my bigger beers than many recipes seem to). :icon_cheers:

That's the one, The Black IPA is called Full Nelson in the 750ml bottle

http://craftypint.com/beer/brewery/kooinda...aka-full-nelson

Hey LRG,

I know you use Nelson a lot, way more than I have, and you have often expressed this sentiment, but it is actually my favourite bittering hop for big American-styled beers. I find both FWH and 60 min additions to provide a firm, lingering bitterness. It may well be a bit astringent if doing the bulk of your bittering with it, but I tend to about %40 - %60 of my bittering early (the rest very late) and I find Nelson to be a great, relatively low cohumulone hop for the job. I personally think it is an excellent bittering hop for high gravity (<1.060) APA/AIPA/IAPA type beers.

Still, maybe that's just my subjective and entirely untrained palate (and a function of the types of recipes I use it in perhaps - I use a lot more crystal and victory in my bigger beers than many recipes seem to). :icon_cheers:

The Kooinda Black IPA demonstrates this well. Beautiful, firm bitterness. I don't get any astringency from it. One of the best Aussie beers around at the moment, IMO.

Knappstein has other hops, I'm pretty sure, but the NS more or less masks them. NS reminds me of the citrus hand soap smell. It's very floral, very citrusy and a little musky. If you don't want a floral nose or flavour in a beer, then you'd definitely have to be careful overhopping with NS. I can't really think of any macrobrewery common aussie beers that have any NS (or Saaz etc) jumping out at you, so most typical drinkers wouldn't even know such a flavour exists in beer. The closest is probably a lime infusion, which is way off.

The BrewPunk IPA doesn't exhibit the qualities of NS quite as well as the Knappstein in my opinion, as it is extremely bitter, which takes a little away from the gentle and pleasant flavours these hops can deliver. The brewpunk ipa is also a little too astringent in aftertaste to enjoy the NS in full. However, it is true to its style and the astringency does guide you to the next stip, making it quite moreish on a summers day. I might have to try the Kooinda Black IPA now...

Knappstein has other hops, I'm pretty sure, but the NS more or less masks them. NS reminds me of the citrus hand soap smell. It's very floral, very citrusy and a little musky. If you don't want a floral nose or flavour in a beer, then you'd definitely have to be careful overhopping with NS. I can't really think of any macrobrewery common aussie beers that have any NS (or Saaz etc) jumping out at you, so most typical drinkers wouldn't even know such a flavour exists in beer. The closest is probably a lime infusion, which is way off.

The BrewPunk IPA doesn't exhibit the qualities of NS quite as well as the Knappstein in my opinion, as it is extremely bitter, which takes a little away from the gentle and pleasant flavours these hops can deliver. The brewpunk ipa is also a little too astringent in aftertaste to enjoy the NS in full. However, it is true to its style and the astringency does guide you to the next stip, making it quite moreish on a summers day. I might have to try the Kooinda Black IPA now...

Are you talking about the old 6% or new 5.6% version of punk? The new one is not overly bitter, and is a much better beer in my opinion.

Ahh might have to try the new one then. The original was one I was happy to have tried, but didn't feel drawn back to it.

I used Nelson for the first time in a brew recently. The hops that went in for bittering were fine but the mere 5g I used to dry hop totally overpowered the other flavours. I personally dont like the smell and taste of it but I know people that do so each to their own.

You dry hopped 5g of hops? :huh: ..... and it overpowered the beer? :wacko: ........ What was the recipe.. 21 litres of water?!

You dry hopped 5g of hops? :huh: ..... and it overpowered the beer? :wacko: ........ What was the recipe.. 21 litres of water?!

It was a honey wheat beer. I couldnt believe it myself, it just took over straight away. The brew is now about 4 months old and it has settled down a bit but the N.S. smell and flavour is still distinct.

I hated NS initially. But overtime and using it a few times, with Ross's Summer Ale I really love it. You just have to use it right. Not too much. As its pretty potent.

Most of my mates and family enjoy the NSSA, though they find it a touch bitter.

It was a honey wheat beer. I couldn't believe it myself, it just took over straight away. The brew is now about 4 months old and it has settled down a bit but the N.S. smell and flavour is still distinct.

I think it is one of those hops that is so distinctive that you either love it or hate it. It is difficult to not be aware of it, even in smaller amounts.

Back