Cracking The Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafatdude

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I used to brew years ago (K&K style) and i'm looking at getting back in with all grain brewing. Just had a question regarding the grain to use, my LHBS sells grain in 500g and 2000g packets, and they dont look like they've gone through a mill.

My question is, do you have to get them milled a special way, like at the shops with the grain mill, ro can you just whack them in a small food processor for a few seconds to grind them up a bit.

Thanks,

Hi guys,

I used to brew years ago (K&K style) and i'm looking at getting back in with all grain brewing. Just had a question regarding the grain to use, my LHBS sells grain in 500g and 2000g packets, and they dont look like they've gone through a mill.

My question is, do you have to get them milled a special way, like at the shops with the grain mill, ro can you just whack them in a small food processor for a few seconds to grind them up a bit.

Thanks,

Forget the food processor, the grain needs to be crushed, not pulverised.

Food processor will work fine. Only problem is the grain will scratch it. Not advisable if it is not yours 8)..

cheers

Darren

i don't know where your going but if you are buying it in 500g bags or 2000g bags it could work out quite expensive, check here

http://www.homebru.com.au/

Roy will crush and sell you any amount ready to go.

Rob.

whats your location fat dude.

there are a couple of retailers on here that could help you with your needs.

I have seen the new 5kg crushed vacuum sealed "blocks" that fit in a postage box that MHB has going and was impressed.

no affiliation etc etc

edit:

forgot to add. It has to be cracked in a mill if you want good results. You want the husks left whole and the inner core crushed up fine. A blender wont do this. Dont listen to any advice that may recomend the use of bottles, rolling pins, bricks or hammers either. ive tried them years ago and they dont work.

thats why i built a grain mill.

cheers

Latest posts

Back