Couple Of Q's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjp

Reaction score
Hi all, just thought I'd ask some more experianced extract brewers what golden syrup and Irish moss bring to the finished product. A lot of the recipes I find on the net call for these but I've never used either.I've also seen quite a few references to whirlfloc instead of Irish moss.Is there a difference or is it just another name for the same thing?I'm always up for a bit of experimentation, but dont want to make a shocker! Am thinking of putting one down in the next week or so-what I have in the kit at the moment is- 1.5 kg Coopers LLME
1 kg (com) LDME
250g crystal malt(cracked)-will mini mash and sparge
60g EK Goldings pellets.
Have more LLME and LDME plus heaps of dex and corn syrup powder as well as 80g Motueka flowers, but want to try the golden syrup and Irish moss. Any recipe Ideas?(inc hop schedule). cheers.

Whirfloc and Irish moss do the same thing they both help drop out protien and other particles out of suspension so that your beer will be clearer in the final product . Golden Syrup is an adjunct to be used when called for in some styles of beer . It can also be used to replace some sugars in your brew and most likely give a little bit of flavour .

Cheers and Beers

BB

I'm pretty sure Irish moss won't be needed in a full extract brew. While I doubt it will harm it, its purpose is to coagulate proteins which form hot break and allow them to drop out and be left behind. This process should already have taken place when manufacturing the extract.

Back