Counterflow Chiller And Cold Break Q

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rubes said:
Jayse when would you advise removing the cold break?

Wedge have you seen the Chillus Convolutas? Not sure how you could make this yourself but an interesting idea.
I've often wondered whether those CFC's that "promote turbulance" are just a recipe for disaster. Surely hot side aeration would be a risk?

I've often wondered whether those CFC's that "promote turbulance" are just a recipe for disaster. Surely hot side aeration would be a risk? [/quote]
HSA would only be a risk if oxygen was mixing with the hot wort. As long as you have no air in your hose or CFC there is no problem. The convoluted copper just makes the hot wort mix around inside, which aids in heat transfer.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
I've often wondered whether those CFC's that "promote turbulance" are just a recipe for disaster. Surely hot side aeration would be a risk?
HSA would only be a risk if oxygen was mixing with the hot wort. As long as you have no air in your hose or CFC there is no problem. The convoluted copper just makes the hot wort mix around inside, which aids in heat transfer.

Cheers
MAH [/quote]
I always thought the convolutions were in the cooling water part of the chiller.
Otherwise the spirals would create a sanitation nightmare. Are they really in the wort stream?
Darren

Hi Darren

According to the St Pats website, the convolutions create turbulence in both the water and wort.

They go on to say the same turbulence that leads to efficient cooling results in very effective cleaning by simpling running water through them. This part could just be a sales pitch.

I thought you used a convoluted CFC, and having tasted your beers there appears to be no problem with sanitation.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
I thought you used a convoluted CFC, and having tasted your beers there appears to be no problem with sanitation.

Cheers
MAH
Howdy Mark,
Yeah, I have one. I had always assumed it was only the cooling water that was subjected to the spirals. The spirals don't extend out to where it is connected to the inlet/outlet hoses.
Looks like plain copper tubing to me. Might have to cut it open to have a look :D
cheers
Darren

Latest posts

Back