Council Cleanup Finds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesbrew

Lover of Beer
Reaction score
Score of the century found on the weekend
Yamaha RGX 800A Bass with active pickups.

08032009_007_.jpg

Hey, I've seen fermenters, bottle trees (I even found a yardglass).... but this is unbelievable.

Somewhere in North West Sydney a lead guitarist is wishing he hadn't of lent his guitar next to the mailbox while he went back inside to get the keys....

LOL, nice find...

There is currently a beautiful old 3 door cupboard with drawers in good condition outside the back of my place, too bad I didn't notice it till after it started pissing down last night..... :(

I have previously furnished an entire house from council clean-up collecting.

damn looks like its in decent condition too. restring it and you'll be laughing. I'm jealous.

damn looks like its in decent condition too. restring it and you'll be laughing. I'm jealous.

They were carrying stuff down when I picked it up. "Ah, we knew that'd be the first to go. You know, it still works if u plug it in, but the bottom string keeps falling off."
Man, they just needed to string it properly so there's tension over the nut! 1 minutes work, and all is fixed.
I'm heading up to get a top string for it today (the others look in decent nick, and I'm short of cash for a full set).
A few scratches, a broken selector switch (still working though), and missing knob.... man, it's all cosmetic (I hope).

You can buy individual strings? Damn I've got an Epiphone electric and also an acoustic bass, both missing a string each, and I've been a bit too lazy to restring, but if I can buy individuals that reduces the cost a lot!

You can buy individual strings? Damn I've got an Epiphone electric and also an acoustic bass, both missing a string each, and I've been a bit too lazy to restring, but if I can buy individuals that reduces the cost a lot!
Yep, bass string packs are about $50 a set! I just bought a G-string ;) for $10.95.

But you can usually find a full set of electric strings in the bargain bin for around $10.
I have a crapload of spare strings for my guitars thanks to these bargains.

Strung it up, and fired up thru the Marshall on monday night.
Sounds AWESOME!

Still can't believe my luck

At recent kerbside collection I scored two daggy but serviceable fake cane chairs and a very solid coffee table, all of which are in Brewery.

Awesome find Pete! Quite similiar to what I have (RBX 760AII), but I forked out $500 for mine! :eek:

I'm suprised they didn't consider selling it. Surely you'd get like $100 for it.

Found a jarrah bar once....in okay condition had in my villa for awhile then moved away and left it... Was before my brew/beer days.... I used to drink one Coopers Sparkling to 5 of my partners at the time... Didnt mind it warm either...

Just scored again. Another Yamaha. Complete with hardcase. Just dumped next to a broken trampoline and a gold cart.
40min work polishing frets, machineheads and replacing strings.
Just sold it to a workmate for $150... sweet.

P1080066.JPG

Found a jarrah bar once....in okay condition had in my villa for awhile then moved away and left it... Was before my brew/beer days.... I used to drink one Coopers Sparkling to 5 of my partners at the time... Didnt mind it warm either...

5 partners! You go girlfriend! :lol:

Thats awesome, I'm just bidding on a bass on evil bay, would have rather found one though :)
I thought I was the king of clean up day finds but those two finds just kill it

Marrickville has been bountiful and tempting, much awesome stuff often found while raining. I have a strict policy of no junk, however cool because certain members of my family are bower birds.

A few months ago I got a US made custom boat rod that had been assembled a little clumsily, but that was soon fixed and it is a ripper. The other day I found a Manfrotto monopod, which I have needed for some time. It had no base plate, but I have a tripod with the same head, and the plate was even on the bottom of my camera when I got home. Click. Thank you garbage gods.

Your bass is a wicked find.

ED: and the guitar is also great, that works out to be substantially more than I earn in 40 minutes.

And to think I was happy with my NIB french press pick-up a few weeks ago...

12 months back I picked up a vintage track bike from the kerbside.
circa early 40's Adelaide built Super Elliot track/path racer.
Entertained rebuilding it for track use but it was in need of some major $$$ and effort o let it languish in the shed.
ended up selling it to a serious collector/restorer for $500 :)
100_0079.jpg

best part is I will still have an opportunity to see it when it's restored to it's original glory as the guy is a local, and collects for keeps.

Latest posts

Back