Cortez's Brew Stand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cortez The Killer

HeCameDancingAcrossTheWater
Reaction score
Party People! :icon_chickcheers:

I've finished putting together the latest incarnation of my brew stand. One tier system - one pump. Eventually I'll upgrade to an actual frame. But at the moment this stand will do everything I need.

It's powered by 2 x immersion heaters which get things hot pretty quick - not using a burner means I can get away with a bench top (which a joiner mate got me from their mistake pile) and a march pump. I've also got a timer that I'll use to pre-heat in the mornings or before I get home from work.

Camlocks throughout with Helical Wire PVC tubing. In the event I want to fly sparge I'll sit the mash tun on a couple of crates (don't think this is likely though). Only thing left to do is calibrate the HLT.

Cheers

01IMG_8888__Custom_.JPG

02IMG_8917__Custom_.JPG

03IMG_8891__Custom_.JPG

04IMG_8894__Custom_.JPG

05IMG_8907__Custom_.JPG

06IMG_8897__Custom_.JPG

07IMG_8895__Custom_.JPG

07IMG_8898__Custom_.JPG

Fermenting fridge on the left, keg fridge on the right

Fridgemate controls keg fridge - Adloheat controller is for the fermentation fridge with indoor/outdoor thermometer

3 Roller Monster Mill

Cheers

14IMG_8910__Custom_.JPG

15IMG_8911__Custom_.JPG

16IMG_8912__Custom_.JPG

17IMG_8913__Custom_.JPG

18IMG_8914__Custom_.JPG

19IMG_8916__Custom_.JPG

show off :p

Looks cool, like the look of the tubing, why did you go that way instead of silicon?

cheers

grant

can the pump take back pressure?? i see the ball valve on top...

Gonna give it a flush with some Sodium Percarbonate - calibrate the HLT and then I believe a series of Wheat Beers are in order - A couple of Hefe's, a Dunkel Wiezen and a Weizen Bock!

Cheers

Mmmm weizenbock :icon_drool2:

:icon_offtopic: I just kicked off a weizen cycle with a Gose, which was an interesting aromatic experience

Don't we all just love piccies, I know I do!... Great setup mate.

I am a huge fan of element heating, I am glad I went along the same path as you in relation to elements.

Look forward to seeing the finalised brew stand. No mention of RIMS/HERMS, any plans on that front as yet?

I also am jealous of the fridge setups you have. I badly need a man shed... (not a crappy rental Garden shed!)

How do you find the single pump setup?
The test water I pushed through the system worked well - a lot faster to transfer than I had imagined

I'll report back after the maiden voyage

No mention of RIMS/HERMS, any plans on that front as yet?
I don't wanna get too tricky - I can't see the benefit of a RIMS/HERMS for me at the moment

The main reason I got the stand together was to centralise all the brewing equipment - thereby reducing setup/packup time and effort

Also to stop lifting heavy near boiling water - which I was getting wary of

Cheers

nice ! :party:

Free 5th April for a brew day at your place ! :chug:

The latest, almost complete, incarnation...

Please excuse the crappy iPhone pics - will get some better ones once the HERMS is complete

IMG_1015__Custom_.jpg

Mash Tun

The rubber insulation means I only loose 1.5*C over a 1 hour mash. I generally put a circular piece of camping mat in the tun, while mashing, to minimise head space.

IMG_1005__Custom_.jpg

Mash Tun False Bottom

Due to wort being drawn from the bottom of the tun the original false bottom, with 3/32" perforations, was letting a significant amount of grain husk etc through and clogging the pump (mill was set to 0.9mm).

Have since sourced some 1.5mm perforated 304 stainless plate. It's 10" in diameter to cover just over 2/3 of the mash tun floor to minimise any channelling along the mash tun walls.

The false bottom held back the grain and only let through some very small particles initially.

It is secured with copper wire to a support cylinder (with holes) to prevent collapse during the mash.

IMG_1004__Custom_.jpg

Mash Tun / Hot Liquor Tank Outlet Arrangement

Arrangement is as follows:
Tri-clamp lip on vessel,
2" silicone gasket,
tri-clamp cover plate with a 1/2" hole drilled and then welded to a
1/2" 90* street elbow,
1/2" socket,
6" extended nipple,
1/2" 3pce ball valve,
1/2" 90* street elbow and a
1/2" Male NPT Male Camlock.

This arrangement allows me to completely drain the mash tun and hot liquor tank, resulting in no dead space and no need to rely on syphoning.

IMG_1006__Custom_.jpg

Hot Liquor Tank

I have placed the HLT above the kettle and mash tun. This eliminates the need to pump from the HLT to mash tun and also allows me to fly sparge with a single pump.

I am also able to fill the HLT through the outlet with a regular gun hose nozzel which forms a reasonable seal against the camlock face. As such I am able to keep the HLT closed on top to prevent bugs, dust etc entering. Nor do I need to get up on a step or ladder.

The HLT is controlled with a STC-1000 temperature controller which powers a 2200W through the wall element. This allows me to dial in a temperature and the controller will heat the water and maintain the desired temp by switching the element on/off.

You can see the stainless NTC temp probe passing through the front. It connects via a camlock arrangement for quick removal. The probe stem is 200mm and passes through a 1/2" tee.

The sight gauge is polycarbonate tubing. And the volume measures are red electrical tape with the volume written on the sticky side of the tape. The tube is threaded and screws into a reducing bush.

IMG_1008__Custom_.jpg

Kettle

The rubber insulation and wide opening has given me approximately a 4.5 litre per hour boil off with a 2200W element.

IMG_1010__Custom_.jpg

Kettle Element & Pick Up Tube

The bottom outlet of the kettle is sealed with a 2" tri-clamp cap. The element is a 2200W through the wall style.

The pick up tube is 1/2" stainless pipe which connects to a compression fitting, socket, nipple, 3pce ball valve, 90*C street elbow and a camlock fitting.

IMG_1009__Custom_.jpg

Brew Stand Plumbed Up

I have yet to complete the HERMS (Heat Exchanged Recirculating Mash System).

In the arrangement wort will be continually pumped from the mash tun, through a coil which sits in the 20L urn (visible at the rear), past an inline temperature probe (as in the HLT) and back into the mash tun via the top.

The HERMS (urn) will be controlled via a second STC-1000 temperature controller.

IMG_1011__Custom_.jpg

I have installed camlocks on the inlet and outlet of the march pump. The 3pce ball valve regulates the pump speed on the outlet side.

IMG_1012__Custom_.jpg

Brew Stand Covers for Mash Tun and Kettle

IMG_1014__Custom_.jpg

Cheers

Good to see there's still a need for the good old milk crate!

Nice one. Can't wait to see it up close in February.

Latest posts

Back