Corona/Cerveza Style AG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biege023

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a Corona style AG for my next beer (4th AG beer) using simcoe and galaxy hops. Have heard alot about galaxy but nothing about simcoe. Who has used it and what you think?

Simcoe is a very nice hop. How are you intending to use it in this brew?

If I was to make a corona clone I guess it would be something like this.

(No program used just beer brain)

5kg of pilsner or trad ale malt
Any hop you want to max 20 ibu(probably too much maybe 17-18)
No flavour or aroma addition

Ferment with a neutral yeast( in lazy so probably us-05)

Ross has a Corona recipe that is apparently pretty true to the original, off the top of my head its pils, corn and rice with the adjuncts taking up about 50% of the grist and Galena to some undetectable level of bitterness.

Rob.P said:
If I was to make a corona clone I guess it would be something like this.

(No program used just beer brain)

5kg of pilsner or trad ale malt
Any hop you want to max 20 ibu(probably too much maybe 17-18)
No flavour or aroma addition

Ferment with a neutral yeast( in lazy so probably us-05)
Ferment with Mexican Lager yeast.

Used 700 grams of boiled rice when the rice is cooked 700 grams multiplies and soaks up a lot of water .

wynnum1 said:
Used 700 grams of boiled rice when the rice is cooked 700 grams multiplies and soaks up a lot of water .
Could you please explain what the rice actually does?

would greatly appreciate the education.

Looking at using 15gm @ 60min and 30gm Glacier @ flame out. Grain bill I'm looking at is;
5.5kg Pilsner
1kg Flaked Maize
250gm Acidulated

Was going to use Munich as the yeast but may consider Mexican lager, thoughts from everyone!

Rob.P said:
Could you please explain what the rice actually does?

would greatly appreciate the education.
The rice is used to dry out the beer, make it less malty and lightens the colour. It contains sugars but needs enzymes from the grains in mash to convert. I am not sure if Corona uses rice and/or corn, probably rice though. You can use regular rice and boil to make the sugars available (gelatinise) or just used flaked/rolled rice (no need to boil).

Just to be technical, rice contains starches which the enzymes in base malt can convert to fermentable sugars at mash temp - there's no actual sugars in rice.

Back