Corn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used corn flakes (or corn for that matter) but a common kids experiment is to extract the iron filings out of corn flakes (which are fortified with iron). Not sure if iron filings would do anything negative to a beer, just putting it out there.

here's a video of it

Why not?

26522011_H.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to feed the chooks on cracked corn.How would that go?Just chuck it straight in?

No, probably best to gelatinise raw corn wombil, so boil it for a while first in a thin porridge. As per Bribie, use some reserved strike water or perhaps do a cereal mash if you feel energetic.

We used to feed the chooks on cracked corn.How would that go?Just chuck it straight in?

Im pretty sure NickB has used that cracked corn. He brought a beer to share one night, Babbs maybe. It was pretty tasty from memory. Nick?
Daz

I've used cornflakes, a kilo to be exact (2 packets of ALDI) but due to the sodium content you could pick the salt, gave rather a dull flavour.
ALDI is a good source of adjuncts :lol:

A planned ALDI Ale, never got round to it but all got eaten eventually.

Aldi_ale__Small_.jpg

Corn flakes are reasonably common in a beer where it is only the steam that is of interest. Cracked corn needs 2 hours cooking to gelatinise properly and it's still a ****. :angry:

Can popcorn be added straight to the mash?

Basically, I detest having to screw around with adjuncts, especially if they cost more than malt.

When they do steam rolled grains they make them go poof then they roll them. Popcorn is poofed but not rolled, same thing.

Hey Ross and Anthony and I tried my cornflake ale with NZ hops at his old place on Logan Road, went down OK - IIRC B)

Loved the old place, that's where I first met Tidal Pete

Popping out to the car to get my violin

Latest posts

Back