peas_and_corn Brewing Across the Seven Kingdoms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
With the hooking up of my beer engine, I finally have seven beers available on tap. Which means that for the next so many batches, I will be brewing beers dedicated to the various kingdoms in Game of Thrones. Because I'm nerdy. This thread is to talk about firstly what styles would be best to brew, and then I'll post recipes and thoughts on the beers themselves if people care. Anyways, here's a brief description of each kingdom, and thoughts on what style might be appropriate.

The North is almost as big as the other kingdoms, and is characterised by cold weather. I remember a mention of dark, strong beers being served so a strong porter might be a good idea. A lot of food is smoked due to the north having a long winter so perhaps a few percent of smoked malt would work to reflect both the food and drink of the region.

Kingdom of Mountain and Vale grow wheat, corn and barley so a beer that uses these three grains would be an interesting idea.

The Kingdom of Isles and Rivers (Iron Islands) are incredibly difficult to raise crops on, instead relying on reaving to have enough food. Perhaps a beer that's made with a mishmash of ingredients from around the world would work- English yeast, NZ and US hops, Australian barley...?

The Kingdom of the Rock (or Westerlands) is quite hilly and easy to defend. It also has a lot of gold, and is the kingdom the Lannisters rule over. Golden Ale perhaps?

The Kingdom of the Reach is the most fertile region in Westeros, growing a lot of fruits. Perhaps a fruit beer of some could work here.

The Kingdom of the Stormlands has marshes, forests and rocky shorelines. I really don't have any ideas for this one. Wiki article. I have a Munich Helles in the ferment fridge, so if I have no other ideas I'll name it after the Stormlands.

Dorne is the warmest part of Westeros, being the furthest south. I'm thinking of some sort of lawnmower beer would work- cream ale, perhaps?

Limitations of my setup

I only have six kegs in my fridge- taps five and six are fed by the same keg, with the line split and one tap being fed via a randall. This means one of the beers must be a randall beer.

One of the beers has to be best served on a beer engine, I'm thinking the porter.

No more info please P and C.
My daughter just gave me the first series of Game of Thrones to watch and I dont want you to spoil the plot. :)

Jokes aside mate I hope you get full satisfaction from your beer engine and your brews. Your ideas sound like fun :)

dicko said:
No more info please P and C.
My daughter just gave me the first series of Game of Thrones to watch and I dont want you to spoil the plot. :)

Jokes aside mate I hope you get full satisfaction from your beer engine and your brews. Your ideas sound like fun :)
It's all good- this is generic background stuff I'm posting, accurate to the beginning of the first season. I'm not one of those people who find it funny to ruin other people's enjoyment.

Mardoo said:
Sounds like heather ale for Kingdom of the Storm Lands.
Hmm, that would be a possibility. Not sure where to get heather from though

manticle said:
Sourr leaf ale?
That would make the beer a proper red ale!

Sounds like a fun idea. If I were to do a similar thing I would probably run with the following
North: porter or smoked scotch ale
Iron island/river lands: brown ale
Westerlands: miners stout
Vale: golden ale/ wheat beer
Stormlands: IPA
Reach: golden ale/ wheat beer / fruit beer
Dorne: Belgian blonde?

This is based on my tastes though so it probably won't be what you would want to make 140 litres of! Have fun, looks like you will.

This is a bloody good idea ( for all us G O T ) fans,I hope that any brews that come of it don't start unexpectedly bumping us off just as we start to enjoy ourselves . Uh oh spoiler alert.
I don't favour a brew called A headless disembowelled home brewers ale.
.cheers...spog...
Edit: mind you I have no problem with .... An Ale,ing home brewer who has just enjoyed the company of a buxom randy wench who humped as if the world was about to end, gotta be a big beer to fit that on a the label !
Cheers....spog.....

spog said:
This is a bloody good idea
Edit: mind you I have no problem with .... An Ale,ing home brewer who has just enjoyed the company of a buxom randy wench who humped as if the world was about to end, gotta be a big beer to fit that on a the label !
Cheers....spog.....
Gee spog I might just fast forward straight to that part. :)

manticle said:
You don't need to fast forward to find buxom anything in GOT mate.

Hahaha! My daughter gave it to me to watch while I am away working.

I'll put it on tomorrow night when I am in Whyalla... :lol: :ph34r:

Alex.Tas said:
Sounds like a fun idea. If I were to do a similar thing I would probably run with the following
North: porter or smoked scotch ale
Iron island/river lands: brown ale
Westerlands: miners stout
Vale: golden ale/ wheat beer
Stormlands: IPA
Reach: golden ale/ wheat beer / fruit beer
Dorne: Belgian blonde?

This is based on my tastes though so it probably won't be what you would want to make 140 litres of! Have fun, looks like you will.
These are all interesting ideas, I'll certainly consider them.

OK so I'm going to make the first beer of the series this weekend. Grain is ordered for The North's Smoked Porter. I loosely based the recipe on one I found on Beersmith, but made several changes to suit my tastes.

10.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 71.4 %
2.00 kg Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 14.3 %
0.70 kg Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 3 5.0 %
0.50 kg Carafa II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 4 3.6 %
0.50 kg Special Roast (Briess) (98.5 EBC) Grain 5 3.6 %
0.30 kg Caraamber (Weyermann) (70.9 EBC) Grain 6 2.1 %

Code:
80.33 g               Centennial [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           7        34.4 IBUs     
2.64 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        8        -             
53.56 g               Williamette [4.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min      Hop           9        2.4 IBUs
Yeast is White Labs WLP 007, Dry English Yeast

Thanks for all your suggestions so far, I'm always open to ideas. Most important is the two beers that would be on both tap 5 and the randall tap. Perhaps the most neutral beer going through a randall full of fruit for the Kingdom of the Reach beer? Or some sort of spices for a stormlands beer?

Huge fan of the books .. love the idea of this too!

"The Kingdom of the Stormlands has marshes, forests and rocky shorelines. I really don't have any ideas for this one. Wiki article. I have a Munich Helles in the ferment fridge, so if I have no other ideas I'll name it after the Stormlands."

The first thing I thought of when I read the word 'marshes' was seaweed ... feeling adventurous?

The northern beer needs to ferment strongly, well and with honour and ultimately fail.

Or a Red ale but I won't explain why to avoid spoilers.

manticle said:
You don't need to fast forward to find buxom anything in GOT mate.
You are spot on there manticle, it all happened within the first half hour....... :)

Crouch said:
Huge fan of the books .. love the idea of this too!

"The Kingdom of the Stormlands has marshes, forests and rocky shorelines. I really don't have any ideas for this one. Wiki article. I have a Munich Helles in the ferment fridge, so if I have no other ideas I'll name it after the Stormlands."

The first thing I thought of when I read the word 'marshes' was seaweed ... feeling adventurous?
Hmm, seaweed beer. Never used it as ingredient for obvious reasons, but it does sound interesting.

re: stormlands beer

according to that wiki article there's a forest named "kingswood" in the stormlands.

i'd do a beer that exclusively used POR and call it "pride of kingswood". it also talks about stormlands being notorious for storms so you could potentially use some rainwater or something. dunno, just spit balling silly ideas :)

i think it's a great project. i was going to do something similar and name beers after specific houses in westeros.

OK, so I've decided to pay homage to the Iron Islands and make reaver's ale! My thinking is that because they take their food from all over the place, the ingredients need to just be a mishmash of stuff from everywhere, so I mixed the products of several maltsters together. I started with my totally addicted to base recipe and added some spec malt to make it a bit more interesting and so it's a different recipe. I haven't decided on the hop billl because it's just going to be whatever is sitting in my freezer, to be honest.
Code:
3.00 kg               Golden Promise (Simpsons) (3.9 EBC)      Grain         1        22.2 %        
3.00 kg               Mild Malt (7.9 EBC)                      Grain         2        22.2 %        
3.00 kg               Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC)           Grain         3        22.2 %        
3.00 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)         Grain         4        22.2 %        
0.50 kg               Biscuit (Dingemans) (44.3 EBC)           Grain         5        3.7 %         
0.50 kg               Caramalt (Thomas Fawcett) (29.6 EBC)     Grain         6        3.7 %         
0.50 kg               Extra Special (Briess) (256.1 EBC)       Grain         7        3.7 %         
1.0 pkg               Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast         8        -

This weekend I thought I'd go for something different. As mentioned in the OP I thought that a cream ale would go well for Dorne, and that's what I'm going to make this weekend. I've never made something this... lacking in flavour before, so it'll be interesting to make. I only have access to 500g of corn syrup so I added clear Belgian candi syrup because that stuff ferments so damn easily. I haven't added the hops to the recipe yet because I'll decide what the hops will be on the day. I'll be something I'll grab out of the freezer- I'll only be adding about 15IBUs anyway so it doesn't really matter that much.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 1 78.9 %
0.50 kg Rice Extract Syrup (13.8 EBC) Extract 2 5.3 %
1.50 kg Candi Sugar, Clear (1.0 EBC) Sugar 3 15.8 %

2.0 pkg Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [124.21 Yeast 4 -

For those of you were excited about finding out about the hops in my Reaver's ale, here's the full recipe. I really should get that stuff out of the fermenter.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Golden Promise (Simpsons) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 22.2 %
3.00 kg Mild Malt (7.9 EBC) Grain 2 22.2 %
3.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 22.2 %
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 22.2 %
0.50 kg Biscuit (Dingemans) (44.3 EBC) Grain 5 3.7 %
0.50 kg Caramalt (Thomas Fawcett) (29.6 EBC) Grain 6 3.7 %
0.50 kg Extra Special (Briess) (256.1 EBC) Grain 7 3.7 %

45.00 g Fuggles [5.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 9.3 IBUs
40.00 g Willamette [5.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 8.0 IBUs
10.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.40 %] - Boil Hop 10 1.6 IBUs
33.00 g Amarillo Gold [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 5.3 IBUs
30.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 6.8 IBUs
25.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 2.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 14 -

I have the North's Smoked Porter all carbonated and pouring, so I guess I might post a pic and some thoughts on the recipe this weekend if I remember.

Oh yeah...

fletcher said:
re: stormlands beer

according to that wiki article there's a forest named "kingswood" in the stormlands.

i'd do a beer that exclusively used POR and call it "pride of kingswood". it also talks about stormlands being notorious for storms so you could potentially use some rainwater or something. dunno, just spit balling silly ideas :)

i think it's a great project. i was going to do something similar and name beers after specific houses in westeros.

That sounds like a great idea. It'll definitely be on the list of things to consider.

Latest posts

Back