Corn Syrup addition in all grain recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayeagle

Reaction score
I have a recipe I want to try and it calls for 2 lbs of corn syrup. It is a Negra Modelo clone recipe. I have not used any adjunct sugars in my brew before and I have not found corn syrup in my local home brew store. I was wondering if I could use corn syrup that I buy at the grocery store. I have read that Caro syrup has vanilla in it and not to use it. What kind would you use or would you use honey or something else? Since this is an all grain recipe I am assuming you put the corn syrup in at the start of the boil.
Cheers!

Grayeagle

Once you've identified what it is the recipe is calling for in the line of corn syrup, it'll be added 5 minutes from end of boil.

Martin

Get it for cheap - really cheap - from a dedicated Asian grocer, just make sure it's the pure stuff.
Add it whenever you like. I've used it up to around the 18% mark in a few Belgian ales no problem.
Supposedly tit gives the yeast an easier time when larger amounts of sugar are called for in recipes. Cant say if that's totally accurate, or even true, but it works.
Someone needs to look it up perhaps.

Thanks, it sounds like it don't matter when in the boil you add it. but I can see where it might be better to add it late to keep from scorching it. It is a lager I am wanting to use it on so I see why now they added the corn syrup in the recipe. I will check out the local Asian grocer here in town. The local brew store is 30 miles away and he don't have corn syrup.

Thanks,

Grayeagle

pcmfisher said:
Corn Syrup = Maltodextrin?
I was under the impression also that corn syrup is maltodextrin. The people at Liquour Craft seem to agree as their maltodextrin is labelled as 'dry corn syrup' : http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afawcs0133827/CATID=0/SUBID=369/ID=4/SID=2932248/productdetails.html

If this is correct, then 2 pounds of maltodextrin is a shiteload, which I would scale back as it is only 5% ish fermentable.

If the recipe calls for corn syrup that has been fully fermented into the high fructose variety so beloved by American food manufacturers then that is a different kettle o' fish.

Yeah I was under the impression that corn syrup is maltodextrin and corn sugar is dextrose.

I wouldn't be putting anything resembling corn syrup / maltodextrin near an all grain brew :icon_vomit:

Different dterms in different countries. Corn syrup solids are maltodextrin, derived from corn starch (although wheat starch may also be used to produce maltodextrin). The corn syrup referred to here is probably glucose syrup derived from corn. Not really any different to dextrose.

^As far as I understand

Latest posts

Back