Cork Tiles for boil pot insulation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twenty

Reaction score
Hi All

i recently purchased a kmart 19L pot to get back into homebrew only to find out my stove doesn't have the punch to hold a rolling boil. So currently looking at insulation options, strolling through bunning i come across cork tiles:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/305x305x6mm-natural-cork-tile-6-pack-_p6690244

cheap ($13.50), naturally heat resistant (i have an electric stove so no naked flame), flexible and a good insulator.

anyone tried them?

cheers
glenn

lol thanks. I priced up the proper aluminum firewall insulation and it was alot more then i was prepared to invest so some sideways thinking is required. Im not confident that with insulation around my pot that a rolling boil can be sustained, so didnt want to waste too much money on it.

how about if no one has tried it, can anyone see any obvious pit falls im missing?

Cork is a good insulation material. How are you going to hold it onto the pot..glue...wire wrap bands...?

was thinking some sort of high temperature adhesive, maybe something automotive. ill need to do some research on that. if all else fails ill just use tie wire or big zip ties.

I don't see any pitfalls. Camping mats aka bogan yoga mats are a great way to insulate for SFA $$$. Aussie Disposals, $10 last I bought them, but it's been a couple years.

twenty said:
was thinking some sort of high temperature adhesive, maybe something automotive. ill need to do some research on that. if all else fails ill just use tie wire or big zip ties.
Ditch the adhesive, Go a couple of big hose clamps. You may need to go to an irrigation pump shop to get what you need.

That way you can take the cork off when you dont need it on there. Means you can use the same pot for different things

Good find! I've been looking for something like this just to rest the pots on, other options have been too small or too exy.

Currently have the pots sitting on some 2x4 which is not cool, and going to go to shit one day.

I'd just wrap some wire arond the kettle to hold the cork. A few twists with pliers should wrench it down. I imagine that'd be much cheaper than large pot sized hose clamps!

Back