Copper Hot Water Unit - Any Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filby

Reaction score
Hi

Just spent the last 4 hours getting the dead gravity fed hot water unit out of my roof space. Its a nice copper vessel and I would love to cut it down to size and use it as a kettle. Just wondering if other people have done it?
I realise that there may be lead solder in it but to my eye it looks brazed. Its also manufactured in 1986 so I think they had stopped using lead solder by then?

IMG_1014.JPG

Fil

Your second option might be to take it to a scrappy, take the $250 to $300 they'll pay you for it and buy yourself a really good stainless pot. As a percentage, copper has gone up more than gold in the last couple of years

+1 for scrapping it.
Paying about $8 per kg of clean Cooper cable (insulation stripped) last time I scrapped cable.
Not sure what you would get for that though.

I like the steampunk side of your copper pot. Half the fun of home brew is improvising your setup.

Get a few bricks and build a wood fire under your boiler. You'll get better heat distribution with copper anyway.

Scrapped it in the end for $120. It was really thin wall so probably wouldnt have held up too well.

Scrapped it in the end for $120. It was really thin wall so probably wouldnt have held up too well.

Held up from 1986 alright. ;)

Should have advertised it on one of the distilling sites, you'd get a lot more than that for it.

Back