Copper Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted somthin earlier and cant find it, so here goes again.

Can I use a copper tank (previously used as a water cooler tank so nothing sinister has been inside) as a boil pot. I want to get some AG gear together. It holds around 60L . SS Kegs seem to be the go or aluminuim, why not copper, other than cost?
Any advise on what to use to clean with would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I cut a 20L hotwater tank in half (with a hacksaw, so it's not difficult) and made a boiler and HLT. It works well and the big advantage is that if stainless has a conductivity of 1, aluminium is something like 22 and copper is around 50 so its fast to heat. Those figures are from memory and I'll correct them tomorrow if they are seriously wrong. It cleans like a breeze with a quick rub with a pot scrubber. P3010046.JPG
65 Litre HLT.

I cut a 20L hotwater tank in half (with a hacksaw, so it's not difficult) and made a boiler and HLT. It works well and the big advantage is that if stainless has a conductivity of 1, aluminium is something like 22 and copper is around 50 so its fast to heat. Those figures are from memory and I'll correct them tomorrow if they are seriously wrong. It cleans like a breeze with a quick rub with a pot scrubber.View attachment 18700
65 Litre HLT.

Great idea Tony I would cleanit up with white wine vinigar it will shine

Those figures are from memory and I'll correct them tomorrow if they are seriously wrong.

I checked those figures. The thermal conductivity of Al is 17X SS304, and Cu is 29X SS304.

Great Idea...

Did you keep the element in it? Or was it Gas?

Great Idea...

Did you keep the element in it? Or was it Gas?
I fitted a 3600W element scrounged from another HWS to the HLT and run 3 rings of a 4 ring burner under the half I use for the boiler.

I also have been using a cut down copper tank from a hot water system as my kettle, and find it great using a 4 ring burner it boils fast. I get 7 brews + another hour or so from a 9kg bottle of gas (90 minute boils evaporating 11 liters). Ive been using it for nearly 2 and a half years and have no complaints.

Back