Cooper's Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same as the above.
With a ready and fresh supply always available there would seem little need to farm it.
Aside from the obvious uses in an Aussie type ale, what other styles have you people used it in that have worked well?
I found it to be a little too fruity in an all ammarillo american wheat beer I did once.
This yeast always seems to lend a belgian character to Sparkling Ale to my palate.It really doesn't need a big hop kick in the tail of the beer to hide or clash with character of the yeast.

L.T

Collected the trub from a CSA clone to use the yeast in other styles - see this thread for the discussion.

Pitched some into a dark ale on Friday - ale, amber, choc, crystal, EKG, fuggles and its humming along at 16C. Seriously contemplating pitching a stout (the 4 shades variety. :icon_drool2:.. .) onto the yeast cake to see how it goes.......

I never get the banana bit. I reckon some people must ferment too close to the sun. :lol:

When I reculture from the bottle I get banana but that being said I'm usually holding it around 25 degrees or sometimes more to fire it up.

Sanity says keep it under 20. No banana at all then. You get some bread/rockmelon but no bananas.

Would be interesting to try a wheat with it though Snow. Make a good hot weather fermentation experiment. My guess is you'd also get a healthy slug of diacetyl {butterscotch} and fusels with it too though.

Warren -
My experience too has been bready/ mild fruity flavours when fermented below 21c. I let it get to 26c once and there was some banana but not totally overpowering. I reckon it would be a good yeast to try a wheatie with.

- Snow

I never get the banana bit. I reckon some people must ferment too close to the sun. :lol:

No bananas here either! Not a hint. I keep it at about 21C and its fine, but I'm sure its crept higher on occasion.
I wouldn't describe it as a belgian yeast. Its nowhere near as funky. Not funky at all.
Its more like a "classic yeast" (according to Designing Great Beers). Fruity flavours and good attenuation.

I've had heaps of banana in one fermented at 22-23.

It mellowed out over a month or so but was right in your face initially.

Didn't notice any diacetyl or fusels - certainly no headaches the next morning B)

Could be worth a try in a wheat.

I just found this thread of mine. :)

I'd forgotten the stout had got so high.
And no bananas! Even had a request for the recipe from an AG brewer who makes nice beer!
But all my brews with coopers yeast have been bottled at least 8 weeks before drinking.

On the weekend I made a starter from the dregs of six CPA stubbies, and 700 ml of 1.040 wort.

It took two days to get going. Yesterday, with a nice healthy kraeusen on top, I pitched it into my Aussie pale. This morning it's at 18c and going ballistic. Smells great coming through the airlock.

$13 for a top 'liquid' liquid yeast -- plus you get to enjoy the 'liquid'! (Only downside for me is I love the flavour the yeast gives to CPA...oh, well, we have to make sacrifices from time to time.)

Hi Geoffi.

I've done the same as you on occasions when I have not been feeling lazy.

Cooper's is a great yeast, but I would have got three starters for $13.00, not one.

Hope you enjoyed all the hard work to harvest that yeast.

All in all Cooper's yeast has to be one of the best deals going. Not only do you get to drink a nice drop, but they throw in a yeast for free.

Wally

My current brew is only 12 litres, so I'm using it almost as a giant starter. When it's done, I'll save three or four jars of slurry, and pitch the 21 litres of wort currently sitting in a cube straight onto the rest.

My 12 litre brew got down to 1.005 (reputed CPA FG...must measure that some time) last night before I kegged it. Holy shit, this stuff attenuates (mind you the sugar helps). Got my three starters, and pitched 21 litres of cubed wort onto the remaining slurry. This morning it's sitting at 17c and going off like a bomb.

Back