Coopers Yeast Reculture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
once i have succesfully recultered my bottle yeast, do i tip out the wort in the bottle and just use the yeast in the bottom or throw the wort and yeast in the bottle into the fermenter?

once i have succesfully recultered my bottle yeast, do i tip out the wort in the bottle and just use the yeast in the bottom or throw the wort and yeast in the bottle into the fermenter?
I usually make up about 600ml or so when i reculture. I add the lot, some brewers only add the slurry so up to you really. I add it all.

Matt

What you do really depends on your approach as well as the method used to create the starter, as you can see many people pitch the entire starter and have no problems doing that.

But, if you pitch the entire starter, you risk introducing oxidized beer that contains more yeast derived flavours and esters than may be desired, the yeast may also need to adapt depending on how similar the starter/beer wort are.
However, since the starter-volume will be much smaller than the amount of beer and especially if starter-wort is similar to the beer-wort, those undesired flavours may not be noticeable enough to worry about.

Personally I make a starter to grow yeast, not make good beer.
Starters are kept warmer than fermenting beer and it is constantly aerated, in addition the starter-wort can be very different to that of the beer I am making.
For those reasons I let the yeast settle, build up their reserves, and then after a day or two (often storing the starter in the fridge), decant the spent starter-beer and pitch only the yeast.

I have a 1L starter which has been in the bottle for about 9-10 days @ 18C. The krausen never really got vigorous so I thought it wasnt working. after a bit more reading Ive decided its fine as there is a good layer of yeast in the bottom...BUT have I now left it too long? Can I use it or should I start again?

I have a 1L starter which has been in the bottle for about 9-10 days @ 18C. The krausen never really got vigorous so I thought it wasnt working. after a bit more reading Ive decided its fine as there is a good layer of yeast in the bottom...BUT have I now left it too long? Can I use it or should I start again?

It will be fine to use. Just pour off the starter liquid, and just pitch the slurry.

I would split your starter and make 6 starters from your 600ml starter..

Use 600ml pet bottles, that way you will allways have yeast. Just keep them in the fridge.

Make a neutral wort at about sg 1020.

Back