Coopers yeast at 24 degrees

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi

Kit yeast - Coopers. Had an issue with fermentation fridge (another story coming :)) … it got quite warm (fortunately found before wort had got hot)
But is in a room which 18 degrees. So I thought it would put a blanket around it.
It seems once it reach 24 degrees in wort it has not come down and is working at that temp.
I think the yeast can work at that.
I don’t want to take blanket off (it’s half on, not completely wrapped) if the temp drops to 18/20 as I understand changing temp during fermentation can cause off flavours. It tastes ok. 1 day. I’d rather wait for it naturally cool once yeast stops working. Seems 6 degrees over ambient.

It’s seems documentation says it can work ok at 24, I usually set at 20.

Basically asking if I should let drop to 20 if it has been working at 24 for about 12 hours.,

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
Cooper's DIY Beer says to try to keep your ferment at the lower end of 21'C - 27'C. I'd say leaving it at 24'C will not be a problem. I doubt you'd get too much off flavour by allowing it to drop a little either. I've had problems with their kits and autolysis if I brew in summer without cooling and they get way too hot. I've not had problems brewing in winter. (Well to my knowledge not with temperature control anyway.)

Last edited:
Thanks

yes says ok.

I think I am going to leave and let naturally cool as it stops working.

Its interesting it never dropped to 20 or so as it normally does, I have a little extra sugar in this so it might the reason, happy little vegemites.

As the wort got a a little warmer it stuck there.

It is at 6 degrees higher than ambient, maybe it just wants to be warm :)

6'C above ambient with just a blanket wrap seems a bit high. Are you just relying on one of those stick on, light up, thermometers? I have 2 of those and one reads 20 and the other reads 24 when they are side by side on the heat mat under the same blanket. I don't think they are particularly accurate.

inkbird probe on side of tank (insulated from outside air with wet suit material - so should be close to exact) , room is 18 degrees.

I thought it was high, but it might have been extra sugar?

Starting out, I brewed kits in my laundry in Summer for a few month, with no controls and the temps were all over the place. Beer was still made and drunk.

Coopers know most people starting out have having no brew gear, the yeasts they provide have that in mind.

Starting out, I brewed kits in my laundry in Summer for a few month, with no controls and the temps were all over the place. Beer was still made and drunk.

Coopers know most people starting out have having no brew gear, the yeasts they provide have that in mind.
Yes they are pretty robust, would have to be other wise people wouldn’t get past there first brew, 😆

Imagine using US O5 at 27 lol

an active fermentation will provide its own 'heat' and naturally increase wort temp. a FYI we dont want to reduce temp of an active fermentation... once its got to 24 let it stay there. off flavours will come from temp fluctation (24 during day, 18 overnight, then back to 24, and so on). If doing ales, good practice is get the wort to 20 degrees, pitch the yeast and hold it at 20 until end of ferment. then raise it to 21 for a few days to help the yeast finish off.

Latest posts

Back