Coopers Vintage Ale 2010 - On Tap At Your Local?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggastew

Reaction score
Living in a regional area I am very excited to see Coopers Vintage 2010 on tap at Finians in Port Mac. Apparently they got four kegs! Keep an eye out in your area.

PS. I have bought a bottle of 2010 to go with my bottle of 2009. Is this stuff worth cellaring or should I just get into it?

Hey Mate,

Had a bottle of the 2010 just last night, could have done with some more time in the cellar, very low carbonation and maybe a bit too sweet for me? Dunno it wasn't a bad beer but I think with a bit more time it would've been a much better beer.

Cheers

yeah i'd leave it a while. For how long i don't know but i was at Uni (Adelaide Uni) when Coopers first released the "Vintage Ale". It was a very good beer that first batch. I honestly have had it since, but i do remember that a few of us bought cartons as there was word that it could increase in value. Over the next maybe 6 or 9 months i do remember it getting better, but that was the first batch. As i said, haven't had it since, so i don't know if they've changed it in that time.

I'd buy six of them and drink one a month and see what you think.

Either way, enjoy it. It's a big beer, but a good 'un for the beer appreciater in all of us.

Cheers,

Nath

Mature it.

DrSmurto is only now drinking his 1999 or 2000 vintage, as far as I know!

They had it at my local at the time a few yeasrs back. They got rid of it because people were getting way too drunk. A pint is like 3.5 standard drinks isn't it? They had the whole range for a while, but then slowly it was only red or green, and then only green.

I like that its really common now, means you can go to most pubs and get a decent beer.

Twas on tap at a couple of places up here in Newcastle. The Wickham Park Hotel had a couple of kegs, and the Mary Ellen in Merewether got a severe punishing from yours truely. And at $7.50 a schooner, why the hell not!

Mature it.

DrSmurto is only now drinking his 1999 or 2000 vintage, as far as I know!

The 1998 and 1999 at the moment, yet to crack the case of 2000.

It's on tap year round at the Earl of Aberdeen aka the Coopers Alehouse - i think the last remaining pub Coopers own?

Perhaps we all should take Dr Smurto's excellent lead and chuck 2 stubbies/6-pack/case under the stairs (whatever the budget allows)?

A thing I learnt while cellaring wine. Buy it now and buy a smidge more than you are comfortable doing, burn the receipt, store it somewhere else (in my case my fathers cellar, and yes I trust him!), forget about it, and 10 years later discover you have three cases of aged wine for use at those special occasions/gifts to impress. Half a case of Grosset Polish Hill 1997....yipee! And at 1998 prices, what a bargain!

Stew

I can't be bothered to wait just love a six pack of 2010 it's a case of that was nice better have another.

Perhaps we all should take Dr Smurto's excellent lead and chuck 2 stubbies/6-pack/case under the stairs (whatever the budget allows)?

A thing I learnt while cellaring wine. Buy it now and buy a smidge more than you are comfortable doing, burn the receipt, store it somewhere else (in my case my fathers cellar, and yes I trust him!), forget about it, and 10 years later discover you have three cases of aged wine for use at those special occasions/gifts to impress. Half a case of Grosset Polish Hill 1997....yipee! And at 1998 prices, what a bargain!

Stew

I did this with a bunch of wines from a wine club when I moved to the UK for 3 years. Stuck them at the back of a relatives "cellar" and picked them up when we where settled back in.
Took a while to work through but gee it was worth it :)

The 1998 and 1999 at the moment, yet to crack the case of 2000.
I lasted about two months before I started drinking my case of 2010. :chug:

It's on tap year round at the Earl of Aberdeen aka the Coopers Alehouse - i think the last remaining pub Coopers own?
The leasehold was sold a little while ago' so I guess they don't own it anymore?

Cheers for the reminder lads.

Had a 1999 whilst watching the cricket, followed by a Fullers 1845.

Both straight from the cellar at ca. 18C.

Mmmmmmmmm :icon_drool2:

Did a tour of the Coopers brewery today and was chatting to our tour guide, apparently the 2010 Vintage has Magnum and Pearle for bittering and flavour hops and the whirlpool addition was NS. They were also doughing in a sparkling ale, with 20 tons of malt that smelt fantastic

Back