Coopers Vanilla Cream Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penrithbeerclub

Reaction score
Go this one ready to go. Just a few questions

1 Can Coopers Pale Ale
1kg Fifty Fifty Light Dry Malt Extract / Dextrose Monohydrate
2 tspn of Vanilla extract
250ml of maple syrup

Question is, what Yeast can I use on Pale Ale when the ferment temp will be around 14-18C ?

If I double the fermentable and the Vanilla paste, will this yeast be able to handle it still?

What is its fermentation temp range?

Also Should I mix the vanilla paste into a pot of water over 80C to sterilise it, then put the water into the fermenter or put it direct into the FV?

I'm sure he means Danstar Nottingham.

Most ale yeast will be effective at that temp. If you want a creamy mouthfeel go for Wyeast Denny's Favorite 50. The code is WY2450PC. The stated temp range is 15-21 but they normally can go a bit lower than the stated range.

Thanks Dan, I must have hit the wrong button.

If I want to ensure this has a really creamy mouthfeel, what fermentables should I use? is the selection I have choosen ok?

You could add a kilo of dry wheat extract. You might also light to consider steeping some light crystal and some carafoam.

Ok.

My grain experience is little and my hopping is none.

Stepping means to make like a tea for a desired amount of time and temp, then strain it into the fermenter?

Yeah, you want to steep the grain in water at about 70C for 1/2 to 1 hour.

You can just wrap it in a bit of muslin cloth or something like that, or you can normally buy grain bags from a local home brew store.

A good amount to start with might be 150 grams each of the light crystal and carafoam if you can get them.

Don't worry about adding any hops at the moment as I have found yeasts that provide a creamy mouthfeel don't usually highlight hop flavour well.

Stick with the original amount of vanilla to start with and see if you like that amount before adding anymore.

Back