Coopers Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theMISSIONARY

Reaction score
I have a Coopers Stout to Brew and i was wondering about what's the best sort of temperature for it with the Kit yeast

also i have no idea what this kit will taste like....I've never brewed a stout and i don't like the liquorice taste...malt should fix that MWAH!

the idea is as follows Kit goo,1kg(maybe less),500g of dark malt(maybe not) + kit yeast

what do you all think

You can't really go wrong with Coopers Stout. I entered a Coopers Toucan plus LDME plus DEX in the National comps recently and it came about middle of its field and I bet it was the only kit brew in the comp.

(Flame suit on): if you want a more crisp and less fruity stout, Coopers is probably the one kit and only kit that comes out ok with a kilo of (turns flame suit controls to max) white sugar. However I would use a higher attenuating yeast such as Nottingham, and chuck in about 20g of a nice UK hop such as East Kent Goldings or Styrian Goldings after three days of fermentation.

Edit: Definitely below 20 degrees, whether you use the kit yeast or another such as Nottingham or US-05. I've got a Coopers stout toucan on the go at the moment at 19 degrees and it's plodding along nicely.

hehehe cough did you say Dark Sugar LOL! i want this to be a mid alcohol content not my usual 1.5kg of fermentables so i might just go 500g Dex+ 500g dark malt or just 750g Dex....hmm decisions decisions

Bugga im going to have to do something about the temp's.....grrrr fridge time

Works O.K. with a Kilo of BE2 and kit yeast at 18-20C.

Very drinkable for a no frills easy to make and drink stout.

I don't recognize any liquorice flavours in Coopers Stout.

Just doing a Thomas Coopers Irish Stout now with 1Kg of dry dark malt and 400g of dark treacle.

Was going to add some hops and steeping grains but never got round to ordering any.

I'd say that using dark sugars and malts is only going to emphasise that flavour you don't like, 'licorice' or 'molasses'. The kit contains more than enough black stuff and if boosting the strength a bit by using 1.5 kg of fermentables I personally would go for the white and light.
cheers

Edit: Yes the BE2 is a good choice as well for a creamy head and finish.

Back