Coopers Secondary Ferment Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Not sure if anyone cares, or already knew, but I just got off the phone to Coopers (making a complaint actually) and I asked the bloke 'how long do you store pale and sparkling once bottles, before sending out to distributors' his answer was '2 weeks'....

Sheesh, thought it would be longer...

I was calling cos in the middle of the 4 6 packs, I found a neck off a broke 's stubby, but I had 24 unbroke stubs in my carton... And the neck was covered in what appeared to be dried malt... Must have exploded on the bottling line...? Aaah well, free carton out of it, not that I wanted anything other than to bring it to their attention...

I dare say there is a delicate balance between cost in keeping stock in the brewery and getting it out but not in a 'too green' state.

Go the free carton!

I work for a well known soft drink maker and u would be very surprised how long it takes for the product to be distributed once it is made.

Once it leaves the brewery it may go to a coopers warehouse or say a bws warehouse. Then it may sit there for weeks or even months before its distributed interstate or to smaller warehouse where it will sit again.

Finally it might make it to a bottle shop and depending on the size may sit there for a while to.

We have a rule that anything with less than 120 days use by date we will not ship because there is no guarantee how long who ever we ship it to will sit on it, then the customer may by it and realise it only has 30 days use by left and complain to us the manufacturer, and at the end of the day its our rep that gets hurt for them not moving the product soon enough

I got told once that Coopers used to hold onto their cartons for over 6 weeks so they could condition properly before sending them out to the bottle shops and so on.
The bean counters did an audit and found they had a crazy amount of stock tying up the warehouses and it was costing Coopers crazy amounts of cash to do it.
So, they now only hold it for a couple of weeks and let the middle man or consumer condition it further if they feel it is necessary.

I don't mind cos as The Giant said, it is usually a long time before we get the end product anyway :chug:

HC

Def right housecat, time is money!! For us to use storage outside of our warehouses costs something ridiculous like $20 per pallet per day, quickly adds up when u have 44,000 pallets offsite!

Back