coopers saison recepie - anything you'd change ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
so next beer going to do this coopers saison tin recepie

Ingredients
  • 1.7kg Australian Pale Ale
  • 1.7kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer
  • 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
  • 25g Saaz Hops
  • 11g Belle Saison Yeast
  • Coopers Carbonation Drops
was just going to follow it and get some saaz pellets also to dry hop at the end

never done a siason before. anything you'd change ?

would steeping some light grain add to saison-ness of it ?

Do you like saisons (traditional ones like DuPont)? The flavour and aroma comes from the yeast, I wouldn't be dry hopping - in fact the 25 grams of saaz could be eliminated - you don't indicate how they are to be utilised. There should be enough IBU's in the Aus Pale kit and, as I stated, flavour and aroma comes from the yeast (and wheat).
Stick to the recipe, then consider making tweaks, if you wish, in subsequent Saison brews. Otherwise you won't know if you made a good Saison and ruined or improved it with out-of-style tweaking

Hi Mongey. Recently I did a Coopers Real Ale with Saison yeast and it turned out quite well except some lingering harsh bitterness. That is why I would probably try to steer you away from two cans, or you could sub one for a can of Coppers LME. Go very late with your Saaz additions as not to add to much extra IBU. Good luck

thanks for the replies

yeah I do like saisons .I have been drinking a fair bit of the saision 1858 and tres monts at $17 a 750ml which is why I'm keen to give it a go

the hops i was going to steep and make a tea and chuck in with the yeast .

if dry hop isnt a good idea i'll skip it and stick to the plan for this one

Just crunched some numbers;
@20 litres it comes to approx. 6.5% & 40 IBU
@23 litres it is approx 5.7% & 35 IBU
Both finishe a little high for the style
That is calculated on the yeast attenuating 76% - however I believe Belle Saison goes a little further than that...
35 IBU is just on the high side for the style

thanks Newtown

I was planning on doing 23 and looking for 6.5% . The 1858 I have been enojoying is 6.4% so was looking for that range

mongey said:
thanks Newtown

I was planning on doing 23 and hoping for 6.5% . The 1858 I have been enojoying is 6.4% so was looking for that range
Brewed for 23 litres you will get around 35 IBU, adding 400 grams of dex will bump it up to 6.5 without adding extra body - you will get closer to the Tres Monts, rather than the 1858, with that recipe

The above is calculated at 76% attenuation, if it attenuates further, say 80%, you will hit aboutt 6.8% with an FG of around 1.011. Nice

on top of the above - I recommend switching the Belle Saison yeast with the Mangrove Jacks Belgian Ale yeast.. it tastes much more like commercial saisons that you would have tried.

So I ended up ordering the bits as per recepie last night . except for the saaz which I only got a 12g bag . was an accident but I figure if it can be left out the 12g is fine . I'm 50-50 on if I'll put in in . I may just save it for another brew

stuck with the LDM over the dex . if it comes outs decent I'll make it again with the dex just to see the difference .

thanks for the tip on the yeast Laim but I went with the saison yeast, just cause I havent used it before. I used the Mangrove Jacks Belgian ale yeast in a Leffe style thing at the start of the year and it went well but I'm keen to try stuff I havent used before at the moment to learn .

I'm enjoying the swap from the fresh wort kits to the extract receipes. you get to tinker more which means you make more mitakes, have wins and learn more . the last 3 I have done have come out pretty decent good beers

edit - Also doing some reading I'm figuring the beer is going to be in the fermenter a good while ? we are going away for a holiday next month so just planning my timings. would 4 weeks be ball park with the saison yeast and a decent OG ?

FYI with Danstar Belle Saison, many people are quoting you FG figures & ABV based off 75-80% attenuation....forget it. I have done multiple all extract Saisons with this yeast & the lowest attenuation I ever got was 96% - it's the Kobayashi of yeasts. Be prepared for it to finish at around 1.002

I've done two sAisons now with poor results it was like drinking rusty nails I got through both however they're either not for me or I'm doing something wrong. Never had a problem with any othe recipes or yeasts other than sAisons and I won't be going back any time soon. Mine always finished around 1.006

Hope you have better results

TheBigD said:
I've done two sAisons now with poor results it was like drinking rusty nails I got through both however they're either not for me or I'm doing something wrong. Never had a problem with any othe recipes or yeasts other than sAisons and I won't be going back any time soon. Mine always finished around 1.006

What were the recipes? Also, what yeasts did you use and at what temperatures?

TheBigD said:

I hope i have better results too.lol

gonna bottle a batch of black IPA saturday and put the saison on sunday

Remember saison ferments like heat, you can ferment at 27 with no issues, I wouldn't leave it for 4 weeks

I have recently brewed a Saison (AG) with Belle Saison yeast. I was very impressed, mashed at 65, fermented at 25, OG 1.043 and FG 1.003. One of the best beers I have brewed recently and I'll be doing another soon

so put this on yesterday as per the recepie.

the Belle sasion yeast must be a beast, it was bubbling after 3 hours

tatsted the wort when I took an OG and it tasted great for wort . OG was 1060 so it is gonna come out strong . Closer to the tres monts strength as NewtownClown said

pitched at 24 and am brewing set to 20. I just have the temp probe hanging in my fridge so it is 2 or 3 warmer on the fermenter usally

need to decide if to cold clear it or not . I usually do for everything but with a saison that saision yeast quality is a big part of it . Thoughts ?

I wouldn't cold crash a Saison personally.... the yeast is driving pretty much all the flavour, leave it in there..

So to finish this off bottled the saison this morning. Finished at 1006 so right on 90% attenuation and 7% alcohol

Tasted great out of the fermenter. Had a good amount of that saison funk. Alcohol taste was surprisingly subdued

Going away for 2weeks at the end of this week so it will get a good 3 weeks to condition without me depleting it too early.

3 weeks is good for a saison. It is a style that lends itself to being drunk young

Back