Coopers Real Ale + 34/70!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theMISSIONARY

Reaction score
Opinions

What do you all think is using Saflager 34/70 going to turn it into a Lager or is it going to be an ale?

why am i think of this!....its cold and i have some 34/70 to use or should i just use the can yeast and heat pad

23L
Coopers real Ale
500g LDM
1kg Dex

+ what Yeast?

The difference between lager and ale is purely the yeast.

You can brew dark malty lagers, light clean flavoured ales or even fruity lagers (see steam beer).

If you use a lager yeast it's a lager (although lagering/cold storage also helps with the definition, you can also 'lager' an ale).

well it will be a lager if you use lager yeast or a ale if using a ale yeast. The style maybe a little off but will still produce a lager none the less. you can make beer with what ever you like really but if you want to make certain style beer its best to stick with malt, hops and yeast used for that style :p. I dont brew to styles yet but try it out and see what you think.

I also drinking my first real ale and i do not like it lol but it tastes ok just has a burnt taste first few mouthfuls i do not like. If you dont want to waste all that time if you think it may be out of style get a can of Coopers European lager and maybe add some saaz hops to make it a little better. maybe 20g @ 15-20 mins

The difference between lager and ale is purely the yeast.

You can brew dark malty lagers, light clean flavoured ales or even fruity lagers (see steam beer).

If you use a lager yeast it's a lager (although lagering/cold storage also helps with the definition, you can also 'lager' an ale).

I thought so just checking

Anyone one tried it?......I think i will see how it goes :icon_drunk:

Opinions

What do you all think is using Saflager 34/70 going to turn it into a Lager or is it going to be an ale?

why am i think of this!....its cold and i have some 34/70 to use or should i just use the can yeast and heat pad

23L
Coopers real Ale
500g LDM
1kg Dex

+ what Yeast?

With Kits you can still add a lager yeast like 34/70 even if it is an 'Ale' style Kit, will turn out fine mate, just depends what your after, btw I'd suggest change ever so slight...

24L
Coopers real Ale
1kg LDM
500g Dex
Saflager 34/70

And that will probs get you close to a Premium Aussie Lager I'd imagine, if you ferment at round 12, Try not to thin your beer out with too much Dex, I would never use more then 500g in these size batches

Drewey

Yeah i can try that too, lots of Malt is good how ever ive never done a brew with more malt than Dex

Try one with 50:50 (malt is less fermentable than dex so ABV will be a touch lower) and tweak from there. Some dex can be good in the right recipe so don't dismiss it outright.

Ive done 50/50 in Bock style Beers and they come out very nice Indeed

I use about 1kg malt to 300g dex and they are plenty dry I think. well I do extract and use 2.75kg malt and about 300g-500g dextrose in 25lt batch

Some dex can be good in the right recipe so don't dismiss it outright.

Extract beers are helped by dextrose or other highly fermentable sugaz, I use home made belgium candy sugar, It takes away a bit ov body ,extract beers generally having a little more body then all grain beers. Too much though and your beer can taste watery and less like beer so be careful with that especially with more full bodied styles only needing a touch of dex if any.

Back